1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with the age of a sheer silk top and skirt

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by debbradee, Jun 18, 2008.

1. debbradee

debbradee Registered Guest

I posted on the vca board yesterday but haven't heard much. I have lightened the pictures and have more if needed. The set is jet black. The top has glass beading around the neck and cuffs. The inside, back of neck has 5 hooks sewn on (train?). The shoulder seam is a narrow, french seam. The skirt is 33" long with 240" sweep. It has a stiff waistband with a large hook and a 8" opening with 3 snaps. No label. I initially thought it was newer and mob but now I'm just not sure.
    Thanks for any information.
    <center>
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

</center>

2. Coutureallure

Coutureallure Alumni

Definitely looks older, but what type of closure does the skirt have? Can you post a picture of the back?

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Looks older to me too! I have a suspicion the blouse may have been meant to be worn tucked in and a matching beaded belt would have been worn at the waist.

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It looks like the beaded trim might have been salvaged from an old 20s dress and sewn onto a new chiffon too.... Do you have a pic of the waist band close-up? with closure?

5. debbradee

sorry, I had to step out for a bit earlier and just got back in. I have some more picture's, but not one of the back but I'll take one tomorrow in better light. The chiffon is in very good shape with only 2 pinholes. The beading is sewn on to the top in one piece though the fabric that the beading is sewn onto matches the outfit fabric perfectly.
    1st pic - sleeve shape (inside)
    2nd - the inside sleeve seam
    3rd - skirt hem
    4th - skirt side seam
    5th - skirt waistband and snap opening
    And thanks so much.
    <center>
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

</center>

6. debbradee

I'm still hoping someone can give me an answer on the age or if it's just best to list it under dresses.
    Thanks
    Deb

7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Hi again Deb,

This really is a difficult one to id properly. I would think it had been made in the 60s and older pieces used as trim.

Good luck with it, it is a pretty outfit!

8. Hi Deb,

I agree that it's tricky: home made construction often is. I'm going to go with a modernish piece that has some older beading added - the shoulder line is very wide, makes me think '80s but I've seen some similar styles from the '60s. The silver clasp on the waist looks fairly modern to me. It is silk, right? I made some similar things from a crinkled polyester that looks a lot like it, in 1981.