1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with the name on the label, Scott Townsend...

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Jenny, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Jenny

Jenny Registered Guest

I need some help with this label.
    20151026_002039.jpg
    I can't read the last few letters of the "Townsend..."

Made in California
    Scott Townsend...
    Los Angeles

Thanks!

2. Jenny it's a bit hard to read - are you able to press the label flat and photograph clearly? Small differences can change the letters in cursive fonts eg, it could start with a "F" rather than "T" but it's hard to see.

3. Joji Furukawa

Joji Furukawa Registered Guest

The only letter I can see after Townsend looks like a capital C so maybe it's Scott Townsend Co?

Jenny and lkranieri like this.
  4. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I think Joji got it it exactly right!

Jenny and Joji Furukawa like this.
  5. Jenny

Jenny Registered Guest

Thank you!
    Have anyone heard of Scott Townsend Co brand before?

6. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Jenny, please post a picture of whatever it is that label is attached to, so I can narrow the search to an era or item.

7. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I found a 1943 classified ad for the company, although it doesn't tell us much more than their address (5104 S. Main St., Los Angeles) and that they were in Los Angeles in 1943...

image.jpg

8. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

This entry in the 1942 Los Angeles city directory indicates the Scott-Townsend Co., women's clothing manufacturers, was run/owned/something by Mabel Irwin and E. Scott Townsend (I looked him up in the directory, where I saw his middle name)...

image.jpg

9. Jenny

Jenny Registered Guest

Oh interesting! You found the company from Los Angeles city directory and classified ad.

The dresses do look 1940s. I also found a dusty pink lace dress with 1940's shoulder pads in the same closet.

20151027_224633.jpg 20151027_225022.jpg

10. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

11. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I forgot to look up Mabel Irwin last night, but I just found 48-year-old Mabel (married to Robert Irwin and the mother of a 3-year-old son) in the 1940 census where she is recorded as the office manager in a dress factory.

Jenny and Pinkcoke like this.