1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with this 1950's-60's? Prom hoop peticoat dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by GemGem, Apr 6, 2019.

1. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Hello wonderful fashionista's,

I bought this rather fantastic vintage prom dress with a hoop petticoat. I'm wondering if it would have been sold with the petticoat or if it has been added and if so are the two different dates? Also my best guess is that it looks 1950's style but also could be 60's? I have checked the label resource and seen that there are two Ricci Michaels labels and a little blurb, nothing as early as 1950's though.

Dress details, It is boned to the bodice, has a metal back centre zipper. There are two small bows, one to either side at the front of the dress around the hip length mark. The bust is just slightly pointed. Dress fabric is pure silk and the pattern is gorgeous!

Any help would be gratefully received. Photo's below. thumbnail_IMG_5764.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_5765.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_5766.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_5769.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_5770.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_5773.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_5774.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5771.jpg

It needs a little restoration, some seams are coming undone and one strap is hanging on by a thread. Overall the silk fabric is in very good condition, the hoop skirt requires some attention and likely steaming though I was worried it might disintegrate.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Those big oversized floral prints were popular early 60s, and the stiff, full skirts were around in the early 60s too. I would have thought the dress was 61/62ish.
    a2730048be465ce32501823d4708b71b.jpg