1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with this coat - fake Dior?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Tricia Bailey, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Tricia Bailey

Tricia Bailey Registered Guest

I need some help with this coat. I am selling it for a friend, who found it at a vintage store years ago. It appears to be taffeta, lined in silk, with mink collar and cuffs - really a beautiful coat. The label inside says "Christian Dior," but my friend (who also collects vintage) and I both have our suspicions about this. The label looks like it might have been sewn in later. Also, as near as I can tell from the label gallery, the label appears to be from the 1980s, but the coat looks 50s-era to me.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

We do not authenticate items here.

I believe that is a label made to deceive however, because what should be the first 'r i' has been woven as a 'n', with a dot above. Compare to the 'n' after. No labels from the known examples in our resource have letters with no space between them.

3. Tricia Bailey

I realized too late that you don't authenticate, but I was really looking more to confirm my own suspicion, so thank you. How would you date/ID this coat, then? And can I still sell it, making sure to indicate that the label is not original? Or should I take the label out?

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Do you think this coat may have been cut or do you feel that is the original length?

Perhaps a shot of the interior would help?

5. Tricia Bailey

Sure - here are some shots of the interior (be kind, I am a terrible photographer - the coat is much prettier than it appears here!) IMG_1659.JPG IMG_1659.JPG IMG_1660.JPG

Attached Files:

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

This is one of those items, one really needs to handle to tell when it is from. I look at it and think perhaps 80s or early 90s mainly due to the size of shoulder padding.
    It's very difficult to say.