1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Ungaro coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Katarzyna, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Registered Guest

Hello everyone!

I need your help with this Emanuel Ungaro Parallele coat.

It's a typical very heavy 60s coat. wool?

I managed to find same fabric on other Ungaro design:
    https://www.kerrytaylorauctions.com...ungaro-abstract-weave-wool-suit/?lot=222&sd=1

that's why I think it's 1969.

Do you know what kind go belt it had? Leather?

I'm looking for anything similar, as a reference, I will be restoring the coat.
    It has some tiny spots and 2 tiny holes. And the lining is sweaty.
    And I think two buttons are missing from the pockets.

If you've seen this fabric somewhere, or you know what kind of belt is had, please let me know!

or maybe there was no belt, and someone added the belt loops? (they are brown leather)

KS

Attached Files:

cmpollack and Vintagiality like this.
  2. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Oh, what a great coat!

Brown leather loops does seem a little odd for a black & white print. I’m assuming the buttons are black also, as opposed to brown? Does the thread used for the loops seem to match the rest of the coat?

3. Katarzyna

the buttons are brown! I think the skirt in that skirt suit has leather loops too? but I'm not sure.
    the thread is thick and black like in the buttons

4. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

According to this article, Ungaro started his RTW line in 1968. The white coat in the article reminds me of yours, although pockets placement is different. It does have a contrasting belt.
    32AA6A9F-24A6-4159-B7CB-46EF74268426.jpeg

Another similarly structured Ungaro coat from 1968, this one couture, from a blog post about an FIT exhibition. THis one doesn’t have a belt.

42F25307-77CF-4165-99FD-3342AAE80147.jpeg

cmpollack, Vintagiality and Katarzyna like this.
  5. Katarzyna

@mags_rags now that I look at my coat, the buttons are spaced out to fit a belt.

cmpollack and MagsRags like this.
  6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member