1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Vintage Attache / Briefcase ID

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by mpryzgo, Nov 27, 2017.

1. mpryzgo

mpryzgo Registered Guest

Hi. I am new to this forum and I was hoping for some assistance in identifying the maker and approximate year of a briefcase I acquired. I has a diamond pattern fabric and heavy leather trim. The 2 combination locks are PRESTO (stamped "3 2051"). The case did have a collection of WWII pictures taken in Europe if that is a clue to its age. DSC_0001.JPG DSC_0002.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

It has similar features to a 1930s suitcase I sold - the metal corners, banded contrast edges. This is a lot higher quality however with the leather handle and interior pockets. I'm not sure when the combination clip locks were invented so I'd suggest looking up the patent for those but I think your briefcase could be 1920s?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  3. mpryzgo

mpryzgo Registered Guest

Thanks for the information. I just wish there was some branding, since I believe this is a very high quality case and I am surprised the maker didn't leave a mark.

4. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

I didn't realize they did those combination locks as early as the 1930s.

5. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Sorry I have made my wording clearer. I don't know that they did. I had suitcases, not briefcases, so they only had the flap and push lock with keyhole on either side, but it stands to reason that briefcases did used to be for carrying high value documents and sometimes items.
    I would definitely research that particular combination lock on the international patent office before going further.