1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with vintage fur coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by desertdreamerweaving, Aug 22, 2019.

1. desertdreamerweaving

desertdreamerweaving Registered Guest

I picked this up yesterday. I never buy fur but this coat just wanted me to take it home.

Could someone please help me identify maybe the age and type of fur. It is darker irl that it appears in the first photo. It's a nice darker rich brown with really shiny tips on the ends of the fur.

Thanks everyone.

ddw

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. I think it’s beaver. Our fur expert will know for sure.

3. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi there,

It looks similar to sheared beaver however it’s actually plucked muskrat.

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  4. desertdreamerweaving

Muskrat? Interesting. Do they still make muskrat coats? I'm assuming this came from Liverpool but that doesn't mean the fur was from there. Is there anything I can show you that might give you an idea of the age?

5. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Yep, muskrat. They do still make muskrat coats. They're more economical than other fur types. I also think I see what looks like a bit of a batwing wing style. If so I'd date it to the early to mid 90s.
    If those cuffs are falling down and the lining shows you can tack them back with a little of threading that won't compromise the coat but will prevent the lining from showing between the turned back cuff and the sleeve. That was also common in the 90s.

6. desertdreamerweaving

Thank you very much. Now to decide what to do with it. Since it fits me I may just wear it this winter.

peaceful vintage likes this.