1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Vintage Halston dress. I sold this on ebay and buyer says that it's counterfiet. Even has

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by closet-space, Dec 14, 2009.

1. closet-space

closet-space Registered Guest

Help with Vintage Halston dress. I sold this on ebay and buyer says that it\'s counterfiet. Even has saks tag attached

Thank You! This is my first time posting. I pick up a lot of desinger items at thrift stores and re-sell on ebay.
    I just sold this great vintage Halston wool dress, with a Saks tag on ebay. No reason to believe this would be fake. I just had a case openend from the buyer stating it is counterfeit.
    Can you look at it and tell me what about it looks fake? thanks

2. closet-space

here is another picture.

3. closet-space

sorry, here we go

4. closet-space

sorry having problems posting pictures, guess i need to resize them

5. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

Yes I think you need to make pictures much smaller.

Did customer say why they think it is a fake?

6. closet-space

she said that the tags were not sewn in by the manufacturer, she said they were very poorly sewn in as well

7. closet-space

here are the tags

she said the tags were not sewn correctly on the dress

8. closet-space

also a pic of the dress

i can't imagine how a dress with a saks tag as well can be counterfeit? i'm still stumped.

9. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I am not sure why the existance of the Saks tag would be beneficial one way or the other. One or both labels could have be removed from a Halston garment and sewn into this one - I am not saying they were, I am just saying its possible.
    Although the dress does exhibit Halstonesque styling, I wouldn't say it was typical of his work. Probably because the labels were resewn in, the buyer is worried that you or the person you got the dress from sewed those labels in. Proving they are original is not impossible.
    Although the company has been sold and resold many times, the original and complete Halston archives are at the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York. I don't think they will do research on your behalf and I believe you also have to pay to use their archives, however, the sketches and information for this dress will exist.

10. The Halston Tag does look a little puckered at the top so it is possible. I've watched old movies where girls talk about sewing Saks labels into their clothing so it is possible that it was done years ago to give the illusion of a higher end garment for personal use. Hopefully you can find someone well versed in Halston to give you a good idea; that is if you won't be able to make it to New York.

There was a lot of this going on with eBay a while back where a lot of high volume sellers were selling items that had designer lables or even vintage labels sewn in. They eventually got busted, but I'm sure not all of them. This could why your buyer is so suspect. Also if they are a big collector of the brand they may know what to look for. Maybe you can look for some Halston garments from the same era online and see if you can find some tag photos. Then you would have some sort of comparison.

Good luck!

11. listitcafe

listitcafe Registered Guest

It is probally a Saks Dress wih a Halston Tag Sewn in. The label looks sewn in. The dress does not not clearly look like a Halston dress so it would be hard to say one way or another

The Saks Label is 1990'sthe Halston 1970's

Sorry i think the dress is a neice 1990's dress from Saks

-Chris

12. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

Closet-space ~

what this all means, is that while shopping thrifts (or anywhere) one is best to be aware of all the details of any garment: the seams, the construction, the cleanliness and the tags: i cannot even BEGIN to tell you how many women we had that would bring in altered lable garments to re-sell in a high-end consignment boutique, hoping to get higher prices for garments that ranged anywhere from being from the Gap to being home sewn, with labels from Chanel, Prada, you name it.

i have to say, those labels look poorly sewn in. and if the dating is as Chris mentions, looks like you've got a forged label garment that you'll need to refund you buyer for.

13. The Vintage Merchant

Closet-space ~

what this all means, is that while shopping thrifts (or anywhere) one is best to be aware of all the details of any garment: the seams, the construction, the cleanliness and the tags: i cannot even BEGIN to tell you how many women we had that would bring in altered lable garments to re-sell in a high-end consignment boutique, hoping to get higher prices for garments that ranged anywhere from being from the Gap to being home sewn, with labels from Chanel, Prada, you name it.

i have to say, those labels look poorly sewn in. and if the dating is as Chris mentions, looks like you've got a forged label garment that you'll need to refund you buyer for.

14. The Vintage Merchant

Closet-space ~

15. The Vintage Merchant

Closet-space ~

what this all means, is that while shopping thrifts (or anywhere) one is best to be aware of all the details of any garment: the seams, the construction, the cleanliness and the tags:

i cannot even BEGIN to tell you how many women we had that would bring in altered lable garments to re-sell in a high-end consignment boutique, hoping to get higher prices for garments that ranged anywhere from being from the Gap to being home sewn, with labels from Chanel, Prada, you name it.

16. The Vintage Merchant

Closet-space ~

what this all means, is that while shopping thrifts (or anywhere) one is best to be aware of all the details of any garment: the seams, the construction, the cleanliness and the tags:

i cannot even BEGIN to tell you how many women we had that would bring in altered lable garments to re-sell in a high-end consignment boutique, hoping to get higher prices for garments that ranged anywhere from being from the Gap to being home sewn, with labels from Chanel, Prada, you name it.

17. closet-space

thanks for the info everyone. this whole idea of fake designer vintage is completely new to me. i've definately learned somethnig from this.
    i offer refunds on all of my ebay items, so that was never an issue. i just never imagined that it could have been fake! especially because i bought it at a resale shop that has mostly designer newer and vintage items. you all are a HUGE help!!!!!!!!!!!

18. listitcafe

listitcafe Registered Guest

With designer itesm you get to know the construction and styling of particular designers. YOu also get to know dating of some labels which helps when looking something over.

-CHris