1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with William Frohman coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by laurenm, Apr 15, 2012.

1. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Hello everyone,
    I am wondering if anyone could help with

1. dating this....i'm assuming 1960s?
    2. What descriptor to use for the pockets
    3. How you would describe this fabric
    4. any info on William Frohman

Thanks so much,
    Lauren

Attached Files:

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

It looks 60's from what you've shown, I'm assuming you haven't found any other labels? (if there was a care label I would say 80's/90's when there were a lot of these style coats around)
    I would call the texture a waffle knit, be aware this is not a technical term as far as I am aware! and faux-flap pockets.
    Sorry I don't know the maker.

3. joules

joules VFG Member

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It looks like a textured woven wool to me and definitely 1960s.

5. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

there are no other labels.
    Thanks everyone!

6. sarahpin

sarahpin Registered Guest

Hi Lauren,

I know that this is an old thread, but I wanted to tell you that William Frohman was my grandfather. He was born and raised in Toronto and the coat was likely manufactured there. He was a womenswear producer; primarily coats. Let me know if you have other questions and I can ask my mother!

Sarah

Vlk94 and Retro Ruth like this.
  7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

8. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Hi Sarah, thanks for the information. That's so cool (I'm from Toronto originally too). I love this coat. Do you know where the business was centered in the city?

9. Kim Alice

Kim Alice Registered Guest

So glad I found this forum. I have had a William Frohman coat for a few years, and always wondered where it came from. It's so lovely, beautifully tailored. Unfortunately missing a button.
    coat.jpg

10. Kim Alice

Kim Alice Registered Guest

Mine has a different label (for a younger demographic no doubt).

back coat.jpg tag.jpg

11. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Hi Kim, with the more fitted shape and wider lapels I think your coat is a little later - late 60's to early 70's perhaps.

12. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

I LOVE the label! an artichoke?

13. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

I've been really happy replacing with vintage buttons I've bought on line.....

14. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

LOL Lauren! I think it's just meant to be a bud of some sort, as in 'new' young growth but it is a cool graphic.

With only one button missing I would either steal one from a cuff if there are any or take two from the bottom, and sew the spare inside, to keep the originals on there.

15. terrigw

terrigw Registered Guest

hello can you please tell me more about your grandfather? I also have a coat that I love, and would love to have more information on.

Attached Files:

16. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Wow, that is one bright coat! How long is it? Can you take a photo that shows the coat in full length, and including the sleeves? That would help in dating it.