1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Herman Marcus

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Lori S., Feb 28, 2020.

1. Lori S.

Lori S. Registered Guest

Hi everyone! I bought a really cute vintage dress with a "Herman Marcus Studio" label. When researching the label, I mostly found items with a "Herman Marcus Dallas" label. I found where the company was in production from 1956-1981, but I can't find any reason for the distinction between "studio" vs. "Dallas". I was also trying to find if there was any relation to the Neiman Marcus company but haven't found anything tying the two. Anyone have any info on this brand? Thanks in advance!

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Lori, can you please post a photo of the dress and the label. That will help us to help you.

3. Lori S.

Lori S. Registered Guest

Here you go:
    B801DB0D-CBBE-47BF-A49A-3E2148341DBA.jpeg 2D774FCD-94C0-4309-A5B7-A85ABC9F03F3.jpeg

4. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

From what I found online, the Herman Marcus Studio label appeared in the 1980’s, probably as one of the clothing lines of the Herman Marcus Inc company.

I also found in a Dallas TX newspaper a 2009 obituary for 100 year old Sidney Marcus, born in Des Moines, Iowa. The obit noted Sidney “was a pioneer in the apparel industry in the Southwest and helped lead Herman Marcus Inc to one of the Southwest’s leading women’s apparel manufacturers.”

EDITED TO ADD: Herman Marcus was Sidney’s younger brother and while I saw he was a salesman for ladies’ apparel, I didn’t see confirmation that he headed Herman Marcus Inc.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  5. Lori S.

Lori S. Registered Guest

Thank you for the information!

6. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I didn’t notice the RN number on your label when I first looked at it, but I see that RN number belonged/belongs to Donovan-Galavani of Dallas, so perhaps they absorbed Herman Marcus at the time the “studio” label appeared.

Racked Vintage likes this.
  7. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

So interesting. I also found this obit for Stanley Marcus, the oldest son of the early founders of Neiman Marcus. I searched around a bit more, and could not find that Sidney Marcus and Herman Marcus were related to the Neiman Marcus family. But it sure seems like they would have been!

Going to Neiman-Marcus in Houston in the 1980s was such great fun. My girlfriends and I would go, and we'd find something we could afford--it felt like being in a shopping wonderland--luxuries all around us!

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/23/...s-the-retailer-from-dallas-is-dead-at-96.html

Racked Vintage and denisebrain like this.