1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi to ALL ....! And HELP please if you know 1960s textile history.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Keppy100, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Keppy100

Keppy100 Registered Guest

Hi to everybody, I'm so happy to find you all!
    I love old textiles and I have a few that have put a "bug in my bonnet" for years.
    (I know I'm dating myself...)
    These have been a big puzzle for me.
    You will see from the photos below that these might be moiré, or mesh, from the 1960s, possibly early 70s.
    They are intricately machine woven with very fine threads in a very wide open weave,
    creating a see-through effect, almost op-art in form. There is no information in the selvage.
    Were they for drapery or fashion or both?
    This looks like a manufacturing technique that I am guessing was pretty ground-breaking.
    Upon close examination, the patterns are so complex and fine , and the colors are pure pop.
    A few are very fine and feel like synthetics, but some also feel and appear to be of a wool or heavy cotton.
    They look like very complex weaving but... what are they?
    Who developed this kind of machine weaving, what is it's history?
    Are they American or from elsewhere? Where can I read about this old technology?
    ANY help would be appreciated! THANKS THANKS THANKS!!!!
    IMG_0029.jpeg IMG_0028.jpeg IMG_0030.jpeg IMG_0032.jpeg

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

The fabrics you are showing were intended for drapery. I agree with your dating. They were machine woven, sometimes blends, sometimes natural fabrics like linen and often synthetics. I mostly remember them in white and natural colors. It's possible that the really bright colors that you have were vat dyed - meaning the color was applied (in the case of synthetics before the weaving process - when it was in a liquid state. ) These fabrics were made in the US and in Europe. A few company names that I remember are Fabricut, Donghia, Designtex; and Jack Lenor Larson. I found a few examples of Jack Lenor Larson and other fabrics like yours on Pinterest. Search for Vintage Open Weave Fabrics and Vintage Open Weave Fabricut Casement fabric.

The typical width of drapery fabric at that time was 48" wide - but some open weave and casement fabrics were as wide as 118". European goods tended to be wider so they might be 58" - 60" or wider. In addition to being available by the yard from fabric houses you could find ready to hang panels at department stores. Some of them had pockets sewn at the top that you could slip a rod through or you could buy rings and attach them to the top of the panels. They were very popular in certain types of Mid-Century homes and offices in the late '60s and early '70s. I don't know the history. I do remember them - so that dates, me, too. (I am a retired interior designer.)

3. Keppy100

Thanks Linn, that is a great help.
    I'm going to chase down your leads. To me, these seem to exemplify the 60s/70s, more for their complexity of design than for their designated function. They are kind of fascinating, like mathematical theory and pattern, but all done pre-computer. The development of this kind of machine weaving must have been interesting. Great info!!

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Thanks - I don't think this is "pre-computer." If you think about weaving and looms - there has been machine assisted weaving since way before the invention of the Jacquard loom. A really brief search suggests that modern day computers have been involved in the manufacture of textiles since the 1970s. This isn't really my area of expertise but it's certainly interesting. Thank you for sharing your fabrics and please let us know anything you discover.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    lkranieri likes this.
  5. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

The black and white one is wonderful!

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  6. Keppy100

Linn, You are right about the computer technology... of course!
    By now, I'm sure that since then it has changed a lot.