1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hippie Mini Dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Dee Dee Hall, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Dee Dee Hall

Dee Dee Hall Registered Guest

I think it’s a mini dress, but zipper has me confused. Not metal. 60, 70’s, or? I did find the words “Bonne! on the material.

Attached Files:

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Love the print. What is the fabric? Cotton, polyester, or? The print and colors remind me of a Gauguin or Cezanne painting.

3. Dee Dee Hall

I’m sorry I don’t know. I’m not very good at judging material.

4. Dee Dee Hall

The printing font also reminds me of an era, but I don’t know what era. Time is flying by for me and my age, but I wanna say 70’s.

5. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

It looks homemade which can make it hard to date. It appears to have been taken up several inches.

The Bonne! is part of the fabric makers name on the fabric selvedge - at least it looks to me like there was probably another word before it. If you look elsewhere on the dress you might find the full name somewhere.

Something about the bodice is saying late 60s early 70s to me, not sure though, and not sure that's when the fabric is from.

Jonathan likes this.
  6. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

It looks to me like it might have started out as a late '60's early '70's maxi-dress. I wonder if the bottom was cut off and then hemmed to the current length. I agree with Ruth about the bodice.

7. Marzilli_Vintage

Marzilli_Vintage VFG Member

The zipper looks like 1970's, and I think the fabric is, too. Si Bonne was, I believe, an organdy lining fabric used at that time.

8. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

9. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Dee Dee, most of us use a fiber burn test to help us identify and/or confirm cotton vs poly vs nylon, and so on. See This Page, which is located with VFG's Fabric Resource Guide. The burn test chart is near the bottom.

After all these years, my educated guess is pretty good, but occasionally a fabric will fool me.

10. Dee Dee Hall

I think it’s Acetate or Acrylic if that helps. I did the burn test and it burned all the way till it melted into a little hard blob if that helps. Acetate or Acrylic? I do know the fabric has a real nice feel to it.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019