1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I patent a 1950s printed fabric?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Bobix, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Bobix

Bobix Registered Guest

Hi there
    This is my first post I am a newbie!

I recently inherited some 1950s printed fabric from my Grandmother. I have tried to search for the print online and can not find it anywhere.

1. Where could I find the print to find out any information?
    2. Where could I check if there is a patent/copyright on the print?
    3. Could I patent/copyright this print?

Any help, advice would be much appreciated.
    Thank you kindly.

2. Hi Bobix, and welcome to the forums.

You might like to see a local IP lawyer as they will know the laws that apply where you are.

My feeling is that I'll be surprised if you can copyright someone else's design though, as the original copyright still applies to '50s prints but you could design something similar but different. Your IP lawyer will be able to advise: it might be 20% difference, for example.

Bobix and Pinkcoke like this.
  3. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Bobix for all things concerning patents you need to first contact your country's intellectual property office. There are codes for different images and patterns you can use to search for patents but if you are actually considering patenting it you would be best to seek legal advice from a practicioner who can search properly for you and present your case. It is usually a costly process.

Bobix likes this.
  4. Bobix

Bobix Registered Guest

Thank you, much appreciated.

5. Bobix

Bobix Registered Guest

Tha
    Thank you for your advice, much appreciated.