1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do I put together a vintage/contemporary wardrobe?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by dibs2002, Mar 22, 2004.

1. dibs2002

dibs2002 Registered Guest

Ok, since we've been talking about wearing vintage, or mixing vintage accessories with modern, this leads me to this Q.

I need to totally overhaul my wardrobe. I am sick to death of the clothes that I have, and I don't have a lot due to losing then gaining weight. And hopefully losing it again...

Where do I start? What's a good base to start with? I need something comfortable to wear to the office, and I sit all day so not anything tight. And I hate high-heel shoes.

Deb (who needs a makeover, vintage or not!) :)

2. alonesolo

alonesolo Guest

new pants with vintage blouses and or jackets. the jacket you can take off it you get uncomfortable in it. Scarves and handbags. Add a vintage pin.

Or mix a vintage skirt with a newer top.

3. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Deb , how about going the comfortable slacks and skirts route with boots /walking shoes and then adding great vintage blouses with modern blazers, or simple modern blouses with great vintage 40s and 50s jackets? And then of course, you need great old jewelry to go with that.

I don't know what size you wear, but there are some pretty nifty late 40s and early 50s dresses out here for summer. I'd pair those with a modern belt and jewelry to freshen them up.

Hollis

4. camelbackcat

camelbackcat Alumni

I have the same problem..fluctuating weight and a wardrobe that needs an overhaul.
    I like everyone's suggestions. What I've done is to buy a couple of contemporary pants ( in black and grey) and several skirts..one black and shorter and one black and longer.
    I've paired these basics with my vintage jackets, with vintage jewelry, with vintage scarves etc. I try not to dress head to toe vintage...then, I feel like a walking costume. Sometimes I just carry a vintage handbag and wear a vintage jacket.
    Either way, I personally think investing in a few good contemporary pieces is the easiest way to go.
    1. black pants
    2. khaki pants
    3. grey pants
    4. black shorter skirt (mid knee is short for me)
    5. longer length black skirt
    6. Basic Little Black Dress
    7. One smashing contemporary white blouse.
    I'm not a fashion plate, but that formula has seemed to relieve my problems about clothing. I hate size fluctuations!!! LOL That is, unless I'm losing weight.
    Joey/camelbackcat

5. One of the easiest things to integrate into a contemporary wardrobe and look very chic is a fabulous vintage handbag. People notice cool handbags and they make you look very smart & put together!!!! (Most ordinary vintage purses are much better made than your average purse today too!)

6. latebloomers

latebloomers Registered Guest

Thanks for starting this discussion Deb!

One of my New Year's resolutions was to start paying more attention to how I look, seeing as how I am in the fashion biz. After I had Chey and started working from home, I started becoming, well, frumpy. It's just so easy to do when the only places you really go are hunting for vintage, Chuck E. Cheese, and to the grocery store and those sweat pants are sooo comfy. ;)

It has taken me a while to come to terms with the fact that I don't have the same bod I used to. I know what looks good on others, but I hard a hard time finding things that actually flatter my now motherly figure. After years of examining styles of every decade I am learning what styles accentuate an hourglass (though it may be a big hourglass) body. I may be a mom who's been married for 13 years, but I still want to look hot, lol.

For example, last month I bought a slinky black halter dress (Marilyn style) with a fabulous bias cut hem for my SIL's wedding. I wore it with a vintage lace shawl and a big vintage red flower pin. Kitten heels and sparkling vintage drop earrings finished it off.

Now, I don't know if I really looked hot, but I sure felt it. Too hot to be a fat momma, lol!

Just wish I could wear it to the grocery store. ;)

7. camelbackcat

camelbackcat Alumni

Timber,
    You've touched on something that I have been coming to grips with myself. From my teenage years through my late 40's I was teensy tiny...a size 2 to 4 (but they were big). When I turned 47, I became more "womanly" in appearance and now wear a 10 or 12. I'm more curvey and more feminine. But, for years, I'd known that I could basically wear anything and look good. Now, I have to really work on what looks good on my new body. I'm just discovering the joys of wearing sexy clothes for a woman's figure.
    It's a real psychological challenge when you've seen yourself one way for AGES and, then, things change. Personally, I think I look better with curves. But, I was falling into the trap (after retiring from the 9-5 work force) of schlepping around in sweats and big tops. Oh gosh, I was become a matronly FRUMP.
    So, I've found that I have to rethink what styles and eras suit me best now.
    Great thread!!!!
    joey/camelbackcat

8. Leisa

Leisa VFG Member

This IS a Terrific Thread, Deb!!! Thanks for starting it!

When I first started wearing vintage ('72), I immediately mixed it w/contemporary stuff.

Gorgeous 40's jackets with jeans (bellbottoms, no less). fabulous 40's dresses with "new" shoes - platforms of course. Even boots, because the dresses were longer.

Point is - the absolute BEST piece of vintage you can start with is a finely detailed amazing Black jacket - preferably late 40's to early 50's.
    It will go with everything from jeans to silk and chiffon. You can wear it with khakis, dress slacks, & skirts - of almost any color.

If you don't want to wear a vintage brooch on it - just be sure the one you wear makes a statement.

Joey's list is great & will start you off well.

For office wear, I like to pair a vintage jacket with contemporary slacks or skirt, a vintage "shell-style" blouse, and vintage shoes. But that's just me. There are fabulous 40's & 50's suits out there, too. And since you don't like high heels, you can wear all of this with great (read: unusual) ballet flats and/or loafers.

I wrote all of this & realized I could have just said, "What they Said." LOL

Good Luck Hunting & Have FUN putting together your new wardrobe!

9. dibs2002

Well I'm glad I asked! Thanks for the list Joey. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll get shopping. I have some basic dress pants but really need some blouses or jackets. I LOVE blazers. I think it's an interesting idea to start out with some vintage accessories. I have a few nice Vera scarves, maybe I will start with those. I definitely need some new purses and shoes too.

This should be fun!

Deb

10. I'm always on the lookout for classic button-down cardigans (vintage or modern) in solid colors because they make a great foundation for vintage scarves.

Another great basic piece would be a solid color knit dress like they sell at Land's End. These too make a great foundation for showing off a vintage scarf.

Carol

11. dibs2002

Ok, here's what I'm wearing today!

Black dress pants (they fit a little better now - yay), with an off-white short sleeve linen/cotten blend short sleeve blouse, a fairly loose camp-style.

Ok, the vintage I managed to accessorize with is a chiffon vera scarf. It has rust, brown and gold leaves on a green background with black outlines. I haven't worn a scarf in years and it felt weird at first, but feels great now. Green's not my fave color but looks good on me.

This is fun!

Deb