1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How is this suede jacket washable?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Pinkcoke, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I have never seen a suede item that says you can wash it, yet here is 70's men's knitted/suede cardigan that says just that. It's not like you could easily wash only the knitted parts, you're going to get water on the suede an leave marks. Has the manufacture of suede used in clothing changed? is it because it's plain and all brown? what gives? I'm interested because I'd love it if I could wash my knitted/suede 80s trousers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Well I used to toss sheepskin rugs into the washing machine. And sheepskin slippers. I'm not sure I'd risk it with something I really loved though.

3. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

I believe it may be a faux suede, made from the Nylon Polyamide.

But you have it in hand, can you tell if it's real leather?

peaceful vintage likes this.
  4. My Dad had a few of these from the 70s and 80s. And mom did hand wash them. Mostly a dip and the suede came out the same.
    But, I cannot say this would happen for you.
    It may be iffy.

Dads were genuine suede.

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It would be a great test...if you did not put out too much money on it.

6. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Yes, it's synthetic suede. I have washed synthetic suede with no problem. Your jacket says it has quite a bit of real wool though. If your washing machine has a handwash or delicate cycle you can wash it in there but you should lay it out flat to dry after so the wool does not lose shape or shrink.

7. pinky-a-gogo

pinky-a-gogo VFG Member VFG Past President

I agree--synthetic suede---
    I had a Mollie Parnis dress that was synthetic suede, completely washable and still kept the "suede-like" feel.

8. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Thanks, I don't have it, so I didn't get that the material composition might refer to a faux-suede. Now I know what it means when I see Nylon Polymide again. :cool:
    I have a feeling I do have one of these combination pieces though, will go digging...

9. Retro Ruth

And yet, it does say 'Suede trimmed'. I wouldn't expect M&S to call something suede if it wasn't, even in the 70s.

10. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Well, yes that was what got me thinking - I saw the material content above, and then seperately - suede trimmed.

11. peaceful vintage

I could see the company using the complete term Nylon Polyamide Suede just like companies did and do use the term Microfiber Suede which is also a synthetic polyamide suede. I do not quite get how they call it trim though. 40% seems like too much to classify as trim.

12. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

well, originally I took the material content to be for the yarn composition only, for the knitted sections.

The back is knitted though, so I guess it is trim.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  13. Retro Ruth

thats why I think Wool and Polyamide refers to the knit, and suede trimmed to the rest. It also says suede trimmed in French.

14. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Bother.

Just to add to the mix - there was another almost identicle cardigan by another brand - which was machine washable! but they don't show a label for that one.

15. peaceful vintage

I'm still stuck on the term Suede trim not making sense to be trim. It looks like there is more Suede whether it's genuine or synthetic than anything else. The knit is only around the collar, down the opening edges, and on the cuffs right? Confusing.

16. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

no the arms and back are knitted too, so it's constructed a bit like a waistcoat I guess.

17. Retro Ruth

And under the suede front too, I expect.

18. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

I'm with Ruth--I think the nylon polyamide has been added to the wool knit to make it more durable. Also, 70s faux suede would have been called "ultrasuede" or "skinner ultrasuede". Vera Maxwell pioneered the use of ultrasuede (invented in 1970) as a fashion fabric in 1971, and according to Wikipedia the content "ranges from 80% polyester non-woven (100% recycled ultra-microfiber) and 20% non-fibrous polyurethane to 65% polyester and 35% polyurethane depending on the product line". No nylon!

As to what makes it washable, or whether you should: I have no idea, and... I personally wouldn't. (Even when washable suede jackets were a "thing" in the late 90s, I was afraid to wash mine and ruin it!)

19. peaceful vintage

Ok. That does make sense. When I have a fur coat that has portions of fabric the fabric content is usually listed in percentages and then the fur type is just stated. I think you are right Ruth and Carrie.
    If it is genuine suede there is conflicting information as to whether it can be washed. The reason why is because the skin can be ruined when drenched with water and it can't be dried with heat because that will dry out the skin. Also if the suede dries unevenly it will leave damaging water marks.
    You can safely use a suede brush or tooth brush to loosen stains, then wipe down with a damp cloth, even using a bit of gentle baby shampoo or cleaner, wiping around the edges where you cleaned to prevent water mark edges from forming, and blot dry with a dry cloth to hand clean.

Pinkcoke likes this.