1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Many of you Do this?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by bartondoll, May 29, 2005.

1. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

I have some wonderful garments that I have packed away -
    they should be sold as they are definitely not being
    appreciated stored in bins or cedar chests. My dilema is
    that I look at them, then hesitate wondering if this is
    the time to list - or do I wait? (and then I usually end up
    forgetting about the garment, and there it rests until I
    discover it again and go through the same dithering process)

Anyone else do this? And, if so what is your solution?

I'm thinking taking pics, measuring and putting them on the mall would probably be the best thing. It is hard to get over that hording mentality that I have though)

Sue

2. Ah Sue, I don't like the word 'hording'.
    Yes, I do the same thing-but when I do I consider myself a 'collector' :)

3. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Marie, I can't resist the urge to say that you "squirrel" things away!

Sue, I've really improved in that department. I had accumulated so many great things that I've been forced to narrow my "collecting" to several major interests. It finally dawned on me that I could not keep every nice thing I came across.

My big problem is finding the time to put up for sale all the great things I've hoarded. I'm hoping soon that I'll have more time, and my inventory will reap the benefit of my lessened work load!

Lizzie

4. elsewhere

elsewhere Guest

Oh Sue I do this all the time!

Once again I came across a whole bin of stuff I'd forgotten I had. Having the website is great because now I don't have to wait for the "right time" to list something. Up it goes until the "right person" comes along. And if it hasn't sold later I can always ebay it.

I hope they never come up with pill for this disease....

5. Oh boy, do I know this one!!!!

How do I get myself past it? I haven't figured that one out yet. I totally agree with Kristine, it IS a disease -- and it appears to be out there in epidemic porportions :o

:wacko:

~Maureen

6. hatfeathers

hatfeathers VFG Member

No, just you.

Pay no attention to the giant piles of boxes in my office.:BAGUSE:

7. gaildavid

gaildavid VFG Member

Oh yes.....I certainly do this. Some things I bought before I was a bit more discerning.....Some things I packed away for the "right" time.....Some things I just forgot about.....I now seem to list the "newest" items first and forget about the "older" items waiting for a new owner. :( But I cannot resist heading out on the weekend to find more stuff :BAGUSE: It is a disease and I see no cure in sight.....only more boxes. :wacko:

Gail

8. It's money in the bank, baby.
    :clapping:
    "squirrel it away" for sure, Lizzie!

9. debutanteclothing

debutanteclothing VFG Board Member

It's my retirement fund!

Sandra:spin:

10. dibs2002

dibs2002 Registered Guest

Hey - I got a wall built around my bins of stuff! So unless you know it's there...

Deb

11. artizania

artizania Alumni + VFG Past President

Why are you all talking as if this is unusual or a problem???

Surely it is nothing more than plain ordinary - NORMAL - behaviour???

Isn't it?????
    :hysterical:

12. Kelly

Kelly Registered Guest

We are not alone.

I also have a group of items that I just don't want to list as they will be too complicated, my Victorian jacket was one. Why complicated? I dunno.

13. b*a*vintagequeen

b*a*vintagequeen Registered Guest

I have boxes and boxes, plus two full closets!

No you are not alone!

14. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

I am on the same frame of mind as Lizzie. I don't collect "everything that strikes my fancy" anymore. On the things i no longer do, I just have the expertise to describe it/sell it a little better than things i may not care for as much and my enthusiasm over it now will make a respectable amount on it, if not a fortune. I even only really collect 2 or 3 types of handbags now instead of ALL.

I think it also depends on what the money generated from selling vintage does. if you depend on it to support your family, you have a different way of looking at it, then if you are working at another job to support your vintage habit, etc. I am not saying that one is better over the other, but you tend to save less at least until you are at a certain point in your business.

Even so though, I really really am guilty of having something and never listing it. DH wonders why (barring seasonal items of course) why i don't just list it all as soon as i get it. But then he doesn't have the disease. HA HA HA

Wait til i start finding turn of the century men's suits that fit him. he will then probably start to be afflicted as well. He always looks at the turn of the century photos and wishes suits were as attractive as they were then. He hates wearing a shirt and tie but says that if they looked like that, he would want to wear one everyday.

Chris

15. Patentleathershoes

And Sue I am not buying anything additional for two weeks until i clear some other things out. If that isn't a motivating factor to clear things, I don't know what is.

16. Yes, yes, yes - I dither. But I too am coming to the realization that I can't keep every pretty thing. By end of summer I hope to have significantly reduced my "stock" and to have what's left, organized. A lofty goal, but every so often I go into purge mode...

carol

17. Patentleathershoes

Purge mode....

someone i never quite purge enough :)

18. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Even so though, I really really am guilty of having something and never listing it. DH wonders why (barring seasonal items of course) why i don't just list it all as soon as i get it. But then he doesn't have the disease. HA HA HA

At least your hubby doesn't suggest just packing it all up and giving it to
    charity! :hysterical:

I was bemoaning not having a proper studio room for my sculpting not long ago and mentioned that I would like to make over part of the ebay room
    into an area to sculpt, but it is a very small room and jammed with stuff.
    Paul's suggestion? Give it away.

Sue

19. Patentleathershoes

I must come clean and Tom says from time to time "get rid of it, sell through it and get out of the business" when he has lapses of remembering that my business brings in money everytime i have a slow week. But i think that is with any business that you have a home office for. I can't just throw a sheet over the french doors and hide my work table. :)

20. elsewhere

elsewhere Guest

For the most part, Rob understands that this IS my work and although I enjoy my work, I DO work hard.
    Of course, like most of you, I buy faster than I sell because that's the part I enjoy the most!

I have gotten MUCH more selective in the last couple of years... but I must admit that there's still a fair amount of stuff here that I should probably just redonate or redesign. But for some reason, redonating is like admitting defeat to me! :hysterical: