1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How old (or not) is this purse?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Patentleathershoes, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a really tiny one. this was identified as a victorian mourning purse when i got it. i am not quite sure if it is that old, but then again, i don't know as much about purses earlier than the 30s/40s )okay mostly more like 40s (and i have been learning more and more that finding things from the earlier eras in excellent condition is not difficult if you look).

The handle is satin with a beaded flower as well as the lining., body is more of a fine type of crochet perhaps.. no closure to the purse (never was, not broken off)... it lies completely flat i will get other pics if needed.

Thanks for info or feel free to toss rotten tomatos

Chris

2. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Hi Chris, I have a Women's needlepoint mag from the early 20s and there is crochet patterns in it similar to this. Based on that, I'm guessing that this may be late edwardian or early 20s.

Sue

3. I know nothing of this era either but I will agree with Sue.:D

Very nice.

4. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

It very well could be! I suspected it might be slightly later but wanted other opinions.

You know what i have been thinking....i think the general public as well as different dealers who have not really studied, say clothing and accessories in depth...but maybe know about the furniture, etc, tend to broaden the victorian era.

I am not making a judgement call...but just making an observation...

everything pre- flapper, or even pre-Depression in some cases,,but after the Civil War (but sometimes during!) tends to be lumped in as "victorian" when it is indeed not. It is a hotter buzz word than Edwardian (aka the "Titanic" era :) to some ) but by that assessment, Queen Victoria ruled practically forever by a historical standpoint!