1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to clean a Pucci purse?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Ookoo, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Ookoo

Ookoo Registered Guest

I was thrilled to find a Pucci purse at the flea market yesterday for only $5.00. Folded up inside was a matching 3 foot square scarf. The scarf is in perfect condition, but the purse has some stains on the back especially along the bottom edge. Any ideas how to get the stains out? I'm afraid to make it worse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, any idea how to date this? There are no tags, but "Emilio" is printed in the fabric of both the scarf and the bag, and "Emilio Pucci" and "Italy" are stamped in the leather inside the purse. The purse is made of silk and leather with brass hardware.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd like to sell them on e-bay, but if the value will be diminished too much because of the stains, I might just keep them.

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

You can not wet clean Pucci silk at all, so the only option is dry clean but I wouldn't spot clean it as it may cause tide marks although if you vacuum the purse thoroughly first to remove any dust and surface dirt you might be able to try spot cleaning with a dry cleaning fluid. I would try taking it to a good dry cleaner -- someone who will clean it by hand. It will cost you probably $50.00 or more dollars, but I suspect that will be your only solution to cleaning the purse safely.

3. AnyDayNow

AnyDayNow Registered Guest

That is adorable. Pucci is pretty sought after and with the colors being perfect for Spring and Summer and the size and long length perfect for this year and with a matching scarf, I'd list it on E-bay. Might I suggest that you research ending prices and then start the listing with a price that would make you happy. Not too high as you want to encourage bids but not too low that you would be heart broken if you only got opening bid.

4. BagDiva

BagDiva Guest

Great find...the signature is true, but would like to say if authentic or fake...l can tell on the mongramm vintage bags, but ot sure of this one, and l have two myself, though mine are contemporary and bought with tags, dust bag etc.....it could be early 80's before the power house broke through! 70's shoulder bag in style though....but a generic looking classic bag nonetheless..l'd buy it in haeat beat..please let me know where you are gonna list them, and will they be kept together??

with regard to cleaning them, l concur, dry clenaing for the scarf is a MUST..or colours will run at worst transfer slightly at near worst...or leave as is and advise in lisitng....if the bag is cotton like mine, then l have got the one mark off mine with a dab of gentle fairy liquid on CLEAN damp cloth..checking eveyrhting for colour transference....

of course the mark could be spaghetti sauce, other grease or the like, if in doubt ...dont do it....

hth

5. Ookoo

Ookoo Registered Guest

Thanks so much for your responses. I'm tempted to keep the scarf and sell the purse, but it would be a shame to break up the set. I'll probably list them on e-bay next weekend.

And if anyone else thinks these are fakes, please speak up! I'd rather find out now, instead of dealing with an irate buyer!:censored2:

6. eel

eel Registered Guest

sweet find Ookoo :adore: and for $5 !
    are there many Pucci fakes out there? I am thinking it's real with the signature and a leather interior? an easy sign of a fake is a cheap interior.
    I would be soooo tempted to keep it! But I bet it would do well even listed as is, and whatever you do I would keep the set together.

7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

:wow22:did you ever get ripped off!!! Hee Hee...joking:D
    $5.00 for the 2 pieces, what flea market was that??? Hee Hee again, don't expect you to divulge.

Great items for the money for sure,:excited: stain or no stain. I would try gently spot removing these myself...good luck with all that!

8. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Beautiful set! I agree with Jonathan--dry cleaning a silk purse is the best way to go, and by hand. If the marks were just right at the bottom, you might get away with trying a small spot with dry-cleaning fluid, but I see some up further on the fabric, and I think you will not want to mess with it!

I don't know how to spot a fake Pucci, but I should think it'd be tough to find a fake made in real silk, with leather interior.....

9. theopshoproc

theopshoproc VFG Member

Beautiful find! And I'm going to say something right now - if you're tempted to keep that scarf - KEEP IT! What are the chances you will ever find another one? It is something you will always think about. Keep it, love it, wear it!

I would also leave that purse to be cleaned by the buyer. I can't really tell what it is but it looks almost like rust? Best left to a professional, I would think.Or perhaps try to spot it in a *very* small spot and see what happens - like are there any stains on the bottom of the purse where you could try?

Lucky find - congrats! :)

10. Ookoo

Ookoo Registered Guest

11. BagDiva

BagDiva Guest

Congrats..you sold it on BUY IT NOW...good for you....that was fast too...

12. JulieW

JulieW Alumni

How awesome...fast turnaround on that $5!