1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to date stetson hats and bowler hats

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by cooltriker, Jun 28, 2007.

1. cooltriker

cooltriker Registered Guest

i have 2 men's hats in my collection.....

the first one is a stetson 'trilby' hat.... which has never been worn... on the inside there is there is the shop's name that sold the hat.. ralph tyler....neath..... and then its says royal stetson centennial ......john stetson company..... made in england under licence......

i am trying to find out about the shop ralph tyler which was in neath.. was is about 8 miles away from where i live....

then i have a bowler hat which again has the shop where it was sold.. sidney heath swansea....( got a few bits now with that shop's label on )
    its by woodrow amylyte....." camberley "

again un worn so the condition is excellent.... i know that sidney heath closed sometime in the early 70's and was trading from the turn of the 1900's or slightly earleir....

how do you date these types of hats ? as they are classic and like the bowler hat is still sold and worn for horse events, and by city folk in london...

2. missproper

missproper Alumni

I've always wondered how to date mens hats as well, as I have quite a few....

:puzzled:

3. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

The guys at the Fedora Lounge might be able to help.

With bowlers at lot of it is by the lining, edgings and just the feel of it. Trilbys - probably the height of the crown, fabric and width of the brim.

Can you post photos?

Hollis

4. cooltriker

cooltriker Registered Guest

thanks hollis......:clapping:

will take some photos tomorrow and post them.....