1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to value vintage ties with no labels

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by trifive, Mar 7, 2020.

1. trifive

trifive Registered Guest

Hi all. I recently picked up about 50 vintage ties with over half not having any labels at all for identification. How would one go about determining a ties value without knowing who made it??

thanks for the help

2. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Many of my vintage ties have no maker's label.
    Think about the characteristics that apply to your ties, one by one, or perhaps by grouping them.
    Earlier ties - 2os - 60s - are generally more valuable than 70s-90s.
    Silk is worth more than nylon or poly
    Patterns that are bold, or fanciful, or novelty-themed are easier sellers than more neutral ties. If a tie is hand painted, and done well, that's a potential selling point too.
    Extremes of width seem to sell better than more middle-of-the-road silhouettes. Super skinny ties have been trendier for the last little while, but some of my customers love neckties that are super wide.

Once you know the keywords that apply your tie groups, go to a vintage selling venue, and see what the price ranges are, keeping in mind that you are looking at asking price not selling price. Hope this helps!

3. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

There is great FB group that might help

https://www.facebook.com/groups/VintageTies/

Photos of the front and back and measurements are helpful when it comes to dating.

Judging from the car in your profile you have a good eye for cool old things!

4. trifive

trifive Registered Guest

Thanks for the great info everyone

northstar the car in the photo is actually one I am in the process of restoring. A 1957 Chevy Bel air

MagsRags likes this.