1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't know what to make of this dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by acceber, Apr 16, 2018.

1. acceber

acceber VFG Member

There's a lot about it that makes me think it's old, but then it has a plastic zipper. It zips along the side like an older dress. Maybe the zipper was replaced? Or is this maybe a reproduction? It's got older style hooks and eyes on the belt. There's a name written in ink on the inside. I googled the name and my city and found an obit for an 88 year old woman who just passed away a week ago. Makes me sad her things are in a goodwill so fast, which is where I found this. Some of the musical notes are sewn on. That silver clef is some sort of metal material, almost like tinfoil in that you can mold it. Would love some opinions on this and maybe an idea how old if possible. Thank you!

IMG_0779.JPG IMG_0780.JPG IMG_0781.JPG IMG_0782.JPG IMG_0783.JPG IMG_0784.JPG IMG_0785.JPG IMG_0786.JPG IMG_0787.JPG

Robin of Frocksley likes this.
  2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

It's cute!...and you honor this woman by your interest in her clothes. (At least that's how I see it.)

One theory: I can see this being a 1960s square dance dress. These would often be homemade, with interesting embellishments like this. The pattern may have been older, so the side zipper.

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  3. I agree with Maggie. It's nicely made but the silver ric rac always puts me in mind of '60s-'70s. It sure looks like it was made for dancing!

4. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Thank you! I thought it had a 60s sort of cut to it. It's almost the same design as some other 60s dresses I have.

As far as the woman goes, thank you so much! I would have loved to have met her and heard stories about her life and this dress. I think more than half of my interest in vintage clothes is about imagining the lives of the people who once owned these clothes. That woman must have cherished this dress, to have held on to it half her life!

denisebrain likes this.
  5. greatglenvintage

greatglenvintage Registered Guest

OMG I need it!! :violins:

denisebrain likes this.
  6. Nansk

Nansk Registered Guest

I so agree with you! Enjoy the dress :D