1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I finally found some interesting stuff in Nowheresville

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by ellenm, Jul 13, 2004.

1. ellenm

ellenm Registered Guest

There is a new antique mall 20 miles from here and it's a nice one. I found these two items there today and hope they are worth something. I remember some discussion about this type of hippie saddle bag, but don't remember much about it. And the bonnet must be from the 19th century, isn't it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for any help.

2. alonesolo

alonesolo Guest

LIke the pastels on the hat. know not a thing about it though.

Very interesting bag I haven't ever seen one of those. If you are selling make sure to attract the people who collect the tooled handbags too.

Perfect for western horsey people. And for this months theme!

3. I know nothing on the date on the hat either.

I have always done well with my tooled handbags. Do you have any saddle soap? It cleans and conditions leather beautifully. Before I purchased mine at Walmart, I used used Murphys Oil Soap, diluted with water. It did a good job, too. Also use on my living room leather chairs, by the way.

4. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

My friend who has a brick and mortar vintage shop had a bag like that one about a month ago, put it in her window, and less than an hour it sold!

The bonnet looks old to me, but certainly not an expert on old textiles.

Maybe your next poster will know.

Lizzie

5. artizania

artizania Alumni + VFG Past President

Difficult to tell the age of the bonnet as that style did carry over into the very early 20thC - much depends on how it was sewn (hand/machine) and also on how the brim was constructed..........is the stiffener all one piece or slats or is it just rows of stitching only? Are the ties missing or never there?

I'm sure Jonathan or Hollis will be able to tell you more. I have sold a few of these and they did rather well, but not a fortune! ;)

Love the bag!! :)

6. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

The bonnet, Jonathan, Hollis, Lei or Barbara will have to
    help you with, but the handbag is fabulous!

I remember seeing one with a saddle on ebay a couple of years ago and it went for several hundred dollars (now, that
    WAS a Ebay a couple of years ago), but still I think it will
    sell very well for you.

Sue

7. bigchief

bigchief Alumni VFG Past President

I sold a saddle handbag like this - only not as nice, and probably not vintage (I really had my doubts so didn't list it as vintage) and it sold for - ? - around $70, I think, to a woman in England. It got a good number of bids, too. Yours should do better than that. Very nice!

:)

Carolyn

8. ellenm

ellenm Registered Guest

Thank you all for your kind comments. I posted a pic of the saddle bag on the VCA and Betty Blackbent commented that there are 5-10 of these bags on ebay all the time and they might go for $40 in perfect condition. Well, there sure aren't any there now. I will wait till fall anyway for the best exposure.

9. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I suspect the bonnet is likely from a costume of the 1920s or 30s. That type of pastel print striped fabric doesn't strike me as Victorian, and it looks machine sewn. This type of bonnet was used for historical costumes from the late 19th century to the late 20th century! YOu see these a lot for Bo-peep 18th style costumes right up to Canadian Centennial costumes done in 1967.

10. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

You know i saw a rust colored one not exact of course but similar idea at a thrift store around here that i really liked. it was in the "glass case" section. They wanted $50 for a Joan and David purse and $60 for that. The strap was broken too.

What a great find!