1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have a fantastic late 50s/early 60s gown that’s couture quality but there’s no label

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by SewLongAgo, May 12, 2021.

1. SewLongAgo

SewLongAgo Registered Guest

Hi! I have the GORGEOUS gown that has some really fantastic couture level construction and I am wondering if anyone had any clues as to who the designer was? I’ve narrowed it down to being British from the zipper (Areo) and that it was in a museum from the number label but haven’t found much else!
    03AA9657-3621-40C6-8656-DA2F6CB00C5A.jpeg

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  2. SewLongAgo

SewLongAgo Registered Guest

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

It is lovely. I am not seeing couture, but hard to say from photos. Can you show close ups of the details you feel look like couture?

4. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

It's beautiful! I do agree with Barbara though that it is not couture. That paper label with the order number wouldn't be on couture. Have you tried to identify the museum?

5. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Hiya, I have a beautiful quality construction 1950's coat with a ridiculous amount of panels and wonderful stitching etc. I found a paper label tab similar to yours inside the lining, along with some quality control labels. My best guess is that it would be from a high end department store, a ready to wear garment but possibly tailored to fit an individual client. Hope you find more info, would be very interested to find out more.

6. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Agree with all said above. It's lovely.

I'm wondering if it had a matching jacket, a bolero or similar, or even a matching stole. Something about the design suggests to me that the spaghetti straps would have been covered by something that matched the skirt.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  7. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

exactly my thoughts as well.

8. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

I agree that it is not couture. It looks like the zip is machine stitched.

Often the zipper placket is machine stitched and the zip is sewn in by hand. Here the stitches appear to include the zipper tape.