1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have made my first sweater from a Mary Maxim pattern!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Midge, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks to this forum here I was introduced to Mary Maxim patterns and just fell in love with their many fun motifs - so I decided to make one for my cousin's little boy. I got the Choo Choo Train pattern (original - no download :)) on Etsy and then started to work out what wool and needles I would need - which was a bit of trial and error to say the least, but in the end I got there, and thankfully there's a pretty good wool shop in my corner of town, so it was easy to get more wool when needed. I'm not the most experienced knitter, and I had no concept at all of how much wool I'd need. I have used Lana Grossa Superbingo, which is pure merino wool and feels very nice and it is washable. And today I finally got the right zipper and finished it - I haven't lined it though as the pattern suggests, I think that would be a little too much for here. Now I only hope he'll like it, and that it will really fit (it should according to the size my cousin says he currently wears).
    mary maxim1.jpg

mary maxim2.jpg

And in the mean time... I have ordered the pirate cardigan pattern (I hope in a few years this'll be something super cool for him if he likes this one) and one for myself :). They are pretty good to knit in front of the TV, and I've gotten used to working with thicker wool and big needles now...

2. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

That sweater is adorable! Karin, you are a very talented knitter (plus, I remember the wonderful 'Schiap' sweater your mother made). I think he's going to love it and never want to take it off. :)

3. PersonalPursuits

PersonalPursuits VFG Member

How wonderful! Mary Maxim's has one of their distribution center's right near me.

4. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

That is just a whole lot of fantastic! Congratulations! You are awesome and that looks great!!!!! EXCLAMATION POINT! :D

5. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

6. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

That is so cute!!! I'm impressed with all your talents, Karin!

7. NovaFashions

NovaFashions VFG Member

That is tooooo cute! You did a fabulous job.
    I'm always amazed at your sewing and creative skills, and you seem to have such fun doing projects.

8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

9. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Lucky little boy - so nice...

10. Midge

Thank you all! My mom is actually the much more experienced knitter between us. I learned the basics from her and in school I learned to knit socks in addition but I've never done that again... the rest of it is just making something here or there over the years, and if I don't know how something works, I look it up or just try til it works. I always say, if I have good instructions, I'll make anything :hysterical:. Not sure though I would have had the patience for that Schiaparelli, because that's a different technique and mom says it was quite time consuming. Mary Maxim patterns are not that hard to follow, the graphs make it so easy. Except for the bands and the collar it's just stockinette stitch, so that's pretty fast work, even if you work with different colors like on this one. It's patterns that require all kinds of different stitches that take much more time.

11. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

Karin, that is so adorable!
    You did an incredible job.
    You & your Mom are very talented with needles.

12. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Wow, Karin, that looks amazing--your cousin's son is going to be the envy of every other mom for miles around... :)

I stand in awe of your talents. bow down wave

13. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Wow Karin- that sweater is amazing, I had no idea you could knit like that- I cant knit to save myself, way impressed!! :clapping:

14. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

so adorable, Karin! absolutely love it, and i bet he will, too! so impressed with your skills!

15. Jrogers

Jrogers Registered Guest

I am looking for this pattern. Could you please tell me the #/details. I keep finding one with drop sleeves and prefer this style. Thanks Joan

16. sues*stuff

sues*stuff VFG Member

The sweater is great! How difficult was it to put in the zipper? I prefer zip up sweaters and had never thought about knitting one.

17. Midge

The pattern number is no. 483, Choo Choo Train. The pattern can be made with set-in or raglan sleeves, it has bot options. Also, you can make it with buttons and buttonholes, or with a zipper. The zipper version is easy to make, just make sure you buy the right length zipper and baste it first before sewing it on - by hand.

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  18. Jrogers

Jrogers Registered Guest

Thank you. I have a photo of me wearing this sweater 50 + years ago. I would like to make one for my soon to be first grandchild. The other pattern I found only has a train on the back. Now I know what I'm looking for! I just hope mine turns out as nice as this one. Joan

Pinkcoke likes this.