1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just heard a great little tidbit...

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Jonathan, May 3, 2004.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Apparently in the late 1950s - early 60s in Windsor Ontario, it was a fad for teenage girls to sew bells (those little silver jingle bells you can still buy at notion stores) on the inside of full skirts so they would tinkle when the danced at sock hops at school!

Anyone remember this, or know if it happened elsewhere?

2. b*a*vintagequeen

b*a*vintagequeen Registered Guest

Well I have had some full crinoline slips from that era that had little jingle bells in them!

3. I think I may remember this as a wee toddler. I also think they sewed them on their socks.

4. dancingdresses

dancingdresses Registered Guest

Yep -

I remember that, J.
    My sis was in HS at the time and they'd pin jingle bells on the petticoats' hem (they were wearing 4, 5, 6+ at a time, to achieve the desired fullness).

3 or 6 or 10 on each hem x 6 petticoats x several hundred girls in the HS.
    It didn't take long until that was "against the dress code." :)

There was some "sock belling" too, but the too-cool HS girls (the ones who worn their shirt collars turned up, in the back) didn't do that.

Oh, and this was in '57 & '58, here.

C

5. cherry-pie-and-roses

cherry-pie-and-roses Registered Guest

I've never heard that...gonna email my aunt and ask if they did this in Tennessee. She graduated in '56, I think.

Bren

6. Leisa

Leisa VFG Member

I don't remember that - but I DO remember tying them to my shoelaces around 1960(?).