1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I love berkertex! 60s or 70s?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Impey, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

I’m developing a minor obsession with vintage berkertex - does anyone want to offer a view on likely dates for this lovely dress?

Also, the dress looks like linen - but of course has no composition label! Is there any other kind of fabric it could be?

with thanks

Impy

Attached Files:

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

To me this looks like very early 1970s, and yes, I agree it looks like linen. The other option in my mind would be butcher rayon or a blend, but it seems to be behaving like linen in the creases.

Impey likes this.
  3. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I see late 1960's. Nice.
    Marian

Impey likes this.
  4. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Lovely, simple and smart.

I think era is on the cusp of the 70s.

While trying to ID exactly the material I found this, .

My point being I would have sworn a couple of costumes on show, shown individually were 70s but not so, this clip is from 1968.

Berkertex brand is documented on these forums and elsewhere.

The material looks like linen, am wondering if it is a type of cheese cloth/gauze material?

Very nice.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    Impey likes this.
  5. NylonNostalgia

NylonNostalgia VFG Member

Very late 1960's I'd say. There is a VFG guest member on this forum, Barbara, who actually worked as a consultant for Berketex in the 1960s and 70s. She'd definitively put this question to bed in a jiffy if she were to see it. Lovely lady too...

Impey likes this.
  6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

7. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Thanks everyone - I think it probably is a synthetic linen lookie- likey based on slight ‘sheen’ to material and the inside, which I initially thought was lining but now think is actually the back of the material

thanks for introducing me to butcher rayon!

Attached Files:

denisebrain likes this.
  8. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

so adorable! agree with late 60s... Karin's pattern nails it!