1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help identifying what this label says!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Hannahv132, Apr 10, 2022.

1. Hannahv132

Hannahv132 Registered Guest

Hello!

I’ve been trying to figure out what the letters are on this label. This is a cape for reference. My guess is 1920s-1930s? I’ve tried a few combinations, but nothing has come up! Has anyone seen this label or know what it says? Thank you!

102AE0AF-EA22-4B1C-B4D2-B386E6B7B4ED.jpeg

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

It's hard to see... possibly "Ungar"? There was at least one fashion house/boutique (I have never really found out what it was) in Vienna by that name at least in the 1930s, and possibly before that.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  3. Hannahv132

Thank you! Yes, the label looks like it was maybe torn and repaired so the middle portion is hard to read. I appreciate your input!

4. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

5. Hannahv132

Yes, the label does look different and S.Ungar was in Vienna and my label says Vienne. After researching I did not find a whole lot on Ungar, but I did find a few capes and dresses on a collector site and the MET. No S.Ungar label I have found looks like this one.

I do see a Z at the end. I saw a J or F at the start and the after the dot I thought it was a U or L….I’ve tried so many combinations but none have come up or make sense….

6. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I think it's a lower case R, which is partially covered by the seam at the top, and with a flourish underneath.

I can definitely see S. Ungar, now it's been pointed out.

7. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

That is also rather strange since I believe that’s the French spelling. It appears that there is even a city in France with that name.
    I also thought the second letter was an L but I can see it being a U as well

8. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes, there is a city called Vienne in France, but it's also the French name for Vienna. Putting "Vienne" on it might have made it sound more sophisticated.

browndress4.jpg
    This is from a 1930s dress I had - Laszlo Ungar, which is probably another Ungar - not clear either who/what this was.

Vintagiality likes this.