1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Not vintage...but here it the story.

I was doing laundry and I don't know how, but one of my husband's ties got mixed up with the laundry. It was accidentally thrown in hot water with sheets and washed in a heavy duty detergent.

It is 100% silk with no care instructions. The color is okay, it just has that odd texture when you wash silk that you are not supposed to and it doesn't have that silky hand right now. Like it is not any shorter but feels like the fabric contracted if that makes any sense. And the stuffing or padding or whatever extra layer that makes the tie keep its shape was shifted a little.

I think i got it straightened out now.

I didn't put it in the dryer, i am laying it flat.

What should i do? just let it dry on its own even though the texture feels weird? Iron it under a towel? dry it on "cool"?

I know it must be a simple answer.

(yes, i just did this!)

Chris

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

What ever you do, DON'T IRON IT on the face side!
    If you can iron it from the reverse side. Even slip a folded handkerchief up the back and iron from the back so you don't get those marks. Silk is washable, so you may not have ruined it, but you probably did raise the grain of the silk, so it will never had that smooth finish it once had.

3. Patentleathershoes

That's what I did then...raised the grain....

Think he'll notice? ha ha ha

Should i iron it under a towel before it dries to steam it out so to speak, or should i wait til it dries completely. There are no wrinkles in it now, it is just "raised" and damp.

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I would try ironing it when it just ever so slightly damp., maybe iron it inside a tea towel?

5. Patentleathershoes

I will try it out and see what happens. I will remember that next time I decide to accidentally ruin a tie.

Thanks!

6. Laura

Laura Alumni

My previous business was silk wedding veils.

I found that professional pressing helped restore the original texture to the silk fabric (generally organza and chiffons, but sometimes satin). After dyeing fabric in a dye bath, I'd take the fabric to my local cleaner for a pressing. I don't know if it's the heat or the pressure that does it, but home irons simply aren't enough in this case.

However, as Jonathan pointed out, it will never be as smooth or lustrous as it was before you washed it.

I'd trot down to my cleaner's store and ask him to press it for me. But then, I live in a very small town with a locally-owned cleaners. He has helped me out of sooo many jams!

Try to find a local dry cleaner to talk to. I'm not sure if a chain-type place would be able to help you.

Laura

7. Patentleathershoes

I live in nowheresville myself. We have one little place, but i am leery about taking things there as they have ruined things in the past.

So far so good with the iron and a towel