1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I was browsing the March issue of U.S. Vogue...

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Jonathan, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

At the Doctor's office yesterday morning. And I must say that this issue more than any I have ever picked up was THE most confusing issue for a delineated style that I have ever seen.

It is a great issue to find vintage inspiration in today's look -- 1950s circle skirts, 1960 stiletto shoes, late 1960s tailored coats, 1970s Disco dresses, 1980s Cindi Lauper belts -- all in one issue. And the presentation was in many cases historically accurate too! How do women look at a fashion magazine like Vogue these days to decipher what is in when apparently EVERYTHING is in!

I would not be able to pull one delineating image of the spring look. On the good side, it means that according to your existing wardrobe and body type you will be able to find something that is au courante at the moment, but on the bad side, there wasn't any one particular style that would make someone go out and buy THE item for spring that I could see. You could say pink was in, but so was yellow and metallic gold -- You could say trench coats were in, but so are tailored 60s coats and ponchos -- You could say stiletto heeled pumps are in, but so are wedgies and Disco sandals...

I have never seen such a confusing issue in all my life!

2. VintageBoudoir

VintageBoudoir Registered Guest

I think it's great!

Women can wear just about anything they want. The looks are so broad right now.

Ar

3. VintageBoudoir

I guess that should be 'the range of looks is so broad right now'.

4. VintageBoudoir

I guess that should be 'the range of looks is so broad right now'.

5. Leisa

Leisa VFG Member

LOL

I can just hear it: "Oh, darling, you are soooo Broad right now."

6. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

or "How to look like a Broad"!

7. VintageBoudoir

Oops! I double posted a funny 8)

8. ourbabyroo

ourbabyroo Registered Guest

March Vogue....or "What all the broads are wearing!" :P

9. cherry-pie-and-roses

cherry-pie-and-roses Registered Guest

But a woman who is confident in both her demeanor and attire will always be "in."

Brenda
    Southern Philospher :D

StitchesandSnags likes this.
  10. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Brenda... I agree!

Truthfully, as a woman, I really don't care what is in. There are a handful of things i put away from time to time for awhile and then get out again, and sometimes i will ad something into the mix to keep it fresh, but for the most part, my style hasn't changed dramatically in the last 10 years. (then of course, there are some things that haven't changed since i was 3).

i think its great to explore fashion mags, etc to get inspiration on what might flatter you more than what you wear now, and to try new things, but when it starts to get to the point where you need someone else to tell you what you like, than i give it a big thumbs down. It can be helpful in selling, but when it comes down to it, when i deviate from things that appeal to me and go into the realm of what is merely trendy, it flops. it just works out well when the two go hand in hand.

chris

StitchesandSnags likes this.
  11. nsweezie

nsweezie Registered Guest

I agree with Chris, what's in and out really has little effect on me.
    I wasn't always that way, but I've found a style that suits my proportions and body type, and I don't care if it is in or not!
    Right now, in Norway at least, the 80's are back big time! And I see tons of fashion victims everyday. It seems a shame to me that some people are so into what is in style right now that they can't see what they are wearing doesn't suit them at all.
    On a side note, I mentioned to a friend who is very into the 80's look that she could buy 10 outfits off Ebay that were actually from the 1980s, for the cost of one new outfit from a store here in Norway. She was very surprised, and seemed interested, so I may have made a convert to vintage clothing. :)

12. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Good - and the best thing is that your friend won't have the EXACT outfit all her friends do.