1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"I was Lord Kitchener's valet" shirt

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Lily K.Chadwick, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Lily K.Chadwick

Lily K.Chadwick Registered Guest

Hi,

I was recently excited to find one of the union jack shirts produced for "I was Lord Kitchener's valet" and sold to the original owner in 1966/67.
    It's still got its label, but sadly in an incredibly faded state. I was wondering if it would be of any use for me to make a sketch of it(the details are just about visible), for the label resource, or if anyone(more technologically able than myself) would be able to enhance the photo I've included into visibility?

Kind regards, Lily

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

That's a pretty cool shirt! If you can take photos of the label from several angles (I find the light reflects off the area that was printed at a certain angle) we can try and enhance it in photoshop or the like.

3. Lily K.Chadwick

Pinkcoke - Thanks! That'd be great, I'll be sure to take a few more photos tomorrow(would it be best for the photos to included none of the surrounding fabric?)! As far as I can make out, the label includes the Union Jack, with the name of the shop below.

4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

don't worry about cropping it, just get the angle so the writing is visible. A wonky visible label is better than a straight invisible one :)

5. Sartorial Eloquence

Sartorial Eloquence Registered Guest

If you have a scanner, maybe a scan of the label might be worth a try?

P.S. After messing around with it a little I tried negativising it in the hope that details might become more visible, which might have worked for the Turin Shroud but didn't help much here...
    faded label P1030879 (neg).jpg
    ...though it did cause a spooky face to appear!
    faded label P1030879 (face).jpg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  6. Lily K.Chadwick

Thanks to you both for your replies! Here go more photos, hopefully these will be slightly more readable than the previous one and stop the appearance of any more little creepy faces :)

Attached Files:

7. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Best I could do was improve it a little: So it's a union jack flag with I was lord/kitchener's/valet underneath?
    I was Lord Kitchener's Valet 1960s 70s union jacket shirt label.jpg

8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

kk.jpg Good work, Melanie.....I tried to sharpen it a bit more in my program, and this might look a bit clearer and I think I can see it now......

9. Lily K.Chadwick

Thanks so much Melanie and Barbara, I though it was a bit of a long shot to get it cleared up, but you've managed it! It is indeed a Union Jack with this below: "I was lord
    Kitcheners
    Valet"
    Thanks again for your help,
    kind regards,
    Lily :)