1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Identification and dating of four fur coats

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by jasminew21, Feb 2, 2014.

1. jasminew21

jasminew21 Registered Guest

Hi,

I have just acquired four beautiful fur coats - all of which are in perfect condition and look like they have been rarely worn, if ever. I have no idea what era they are from, or what type of fur each of them is. Any help would be brilliant.

1. Dark brown fur - very silky and soft to touch, with thin pelts. Has a label inside (which isn't shown in the picture) saying Marshall and Snelgrove, Birmingham - but no other label.

2. Again, dark brown fur - but looks stripy. Label reads Karter of Scotland.

3. Another dark brown fur. Label reads James Kerr, Dundee.

4. Lighter fur coat, with no label.

Looking forward to hearing what they are! If you want to see any further pictures, please do not hesitate to ask! IMG_2892.JPG IMG_2890.JPG IMG_2891.JPG View attachment 24574 View attachment 24574 IMG_2893.JPG

2. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

have you seen this fabulous site? FurWise? she has a section for fur help!

3. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi Jasmine and thank you Mary for mentioning my site. I am happy to help here and through my site always. :)

Your fur coats are;

1. Ermine.

2. Possibly Pony from Russia.

3. Muskrat dyed to look like Mink.

4. Another Muskrat dyed to look like Mink.

I might be able to confirm or rule out Pony on number 2 if you describe the texture of the fur. Pony fur mostly comes from Poland and Russia. Some Pony hair has a moire pattern similar to Broadtail, most that I have seen with the moire pattern were from Russia however I have seen some moire patterned Pony advertisements over the years without the origin listed. The hairs lay flat and feel stiff if you try to push them in the opposite direction of the grain.

I can help you with dating these as well but for me to help you best I need to see the full features(collar, sleeves, shape, length, lining) of the coats so if you can post full photos of each coat; one front, back, and lining shot for each that show the coats in entirety I will be able to help you determine era better for each.

Just for fun here's an ad with some moire patterned Pony coats which I believe even if they are the same type as coat number 2 are from an earlier time than yours;
    ponycoats.JPG

4. jasminew21

Hi Caryn,

Thanks for this information! Very helpful! I'll upload the pictures of the individual coats in separate replies so I don't get confused.. Here goes:

1. IMG_2875.jpg IMG_2876.jpg IMG_2877.jpg IMG_2878.jpg IMG_2879.jpg IMG_2883.jpg IMG_2885.jpg

5. jasminew21

2. IMG_2846.jpg IMG_2847.jpg IMG_2848.jpg IMG_2849.jpg IMG_2850.jpg IMG_2852.jpg IMG_2853.jpg IMG_2857.jpg The fur on this one is quite soft (not like the Ermine), but as you say, doesn't really like to be moved in a different direction. What era are the ones in the advert?

3. IMG_2859.jpg IMG_2860.jpg IMG_2862.jpg IMG_2864.jpg IMG_2865.jpg IMG_2867.jpg IMG_2868.jpg Unfortunately no photos of the lining for this one... or the next

4. IMG_2887.jpg IMG_2888.jpg IMG_2889.jpg I'm afraid these are all the photos I have for the final fur - and am now 300 miles away from them.. sorry!

With regards to length - I am quite tall - 5ft 8, size 10, so you can see that they are quite long, with strangely short sleeves (don't know if they are supposed to be 3/4?). The only one with arms long enough for me to wear is the fourth one, and that has fur on the inside so that it can be rolled up.

Thanks again, Jasmine

6. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi Jasmine, Thanks for those photos. They're just fine. For the most part your coats look pretty close in age. 1. Looks the oldest and looks like it dates to the early 50s, 2 looks like it dates early to mid 50s and your description of the texture does fit Pony, 3. looks like it dates somewhere around 62-65, and 4. looks like it dates to the 50s but part of my thought on that is that the sleeves appear to have wide cuffs that can be turned back and a bit of a swing style hem. Is that correct?
    The sleeves during those times were a variety of lengths. Full length sleeves with turn back cuffs, bracelet length, glove length, and as you mentioned 3/4 length sleeves allowed wearers to show their matching accessories which they coordinated very well. :)

The Pony coat ad I posted earlier dated to the 1936.

Pinkcoke likes this.
  7. sarah-jane

sarah-jane VFG Member

Wow Caryn, you don't half know your onions!

peaceful vintage and Retro Ruth like this.