1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Identify age and value Chocolate Pearls

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Dinah's Vintage Eye Candy, May 21, 2022.

1. Dinah's Vintage Eye Candy

Dinah's Vintage Eye Candy Registered Guest

Could someone help with the age of and value of this necklace? It is chocolate brown pearls. They are knotted and not smooth. They do have some weight to them and the clasp is stamped 14 20 the symbol after the numbers looks like a capital L. Please see attached. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

at a glance they look to be 1960s vintage. we'll see what our jewelry experts have to offer as far as identification hints for you.

as to value: per our Forum Rules:
    • 6 - Trade Members of the VFG are unable to value items posted in the forums. For valuation we recommend professional appraisers or searching sold values on sites such as Ruby Lane and ebay.

3. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Pearls have a gritty feel when you "bite" them.
    Plastic and other beads are smooth.

4. Dinah's Vintage Eye Candy

Thank you for the reply. I will check for value on the suggested links.

5. Marzilli_Vintage

Marzilli_Vintage VFG Member

These are called ringed or banded semi-baroque pearls. The 14/20 is a way of designating the percentage of gold in gold filled jewelry, in this case 5%. A more common mark saying the same thing is "1/2oth 14k GF." More than 90% of all chocolate pearls are enhanced by chemically lightening black pearls. The "L" is probably a maker's mark, but I don't recognize it.

6. Dinah's Vintage Eye Candy

Thank so much I do appreciate the information. I am posting some photos of a set of Maj0rica pearls that I would love help with too. Best Dinah

7. Dinah's Vintage Eye Candy

Francis I wondered if you would be able to give me any info about this necklace and earring set of Majorica pearls. The symbol on the box or date of the set. I understand that the clasp can be an indicator of the date line. I am new here and just getting used to the way things work. I hope this is the right way to get information. Thanks so much for your time. Dinah

Attached Files:

8. Marzilli_Vintage

Marzilli_Vintage VFG Member

My pleasure, Dinah. Posting here on the forums is the best way to get information from our many knowledgable members. Majorica pearls are imitation and made out of glass. They have been made for over 100 years and are actually pretty desirable because they are such great imitations. I'm not sure if it's still the case, but the coating used over the glass bead used to be made from fish scales. It's hard to date these because spring-ring clasps have been around for well over 100 years, but I get the feeling from the box and the design that they're mid-century, maybe 1950 or so. Someone else will probably come along and give you a better estimation of date. Are there any markings on the necklace or box?

9. Dinah's Vintage Eye Candy

There is a stamp that says 925 on the back of the clasp. The symbol on the box which seems to say Jleuseh and says Majorica inside The symbol on the box looks like a lion on one side a bird in flight on the other side and maybe a duck on top. Thanks so much for your help.Thanks To You

Attached Files: