1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Identify Jewelry

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Edward Burke, Mar 22, 2023.

1. Edward Burke

Edward Burke Registered Guest

This belonged to my grandfather. Any ideas? I thought it might be knights of Columbus. Can’t find anything similar.

BA7B6436-E436-4F7B-B948-CC5A871C149C.jpeg

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It could be from the 20s, a.lot of Egyptian themed items due to the finding of King Tut's tomb.
    It looks like a watch fob to me. Let's see what others think about it.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  3. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

I agree with Mary Jane. What a fabulous-looking fob. Do you see any writing on the clasp portion? It looks as if it might be gold-filled (or gold??)
    It is a beautiful motif.

4. Marzilli_Vintage

Marzilli_Vintage VFG Member

Agree - watch fob... teens or 20's most likely. The clip/clasp, as Janine mentioned, is where you'll often find a mark. Be sure to check on the inside radius.

5. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I agree, too! Ad it's wonderful.
    Try searching 1910s 1920s Egyptian Revival Watch fob. I think you'll see similar pieces.

6. Edward Burke

Thanks for all the information. I will look it over based on your tips. Appreciate! Ed

7. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

8. vintage_59

vintage_59 Registered Guest

Agree. There is most likely a mark of some kind somewhere on clasp. It can just be two letters or a symbol. If you have a way to zoom in on the clasp it is helpful. Some people use loupes or magnifying glasses or apps that work as microscopes.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  9. Edward Burke

Thank You! I looked and it appears there is some writing on the inside of the clasp. I just can’t make it out.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  10. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

If you don't have a loupe or magnifyer, if you have a good camera (even a phone camera), you may be able to take a photo and enlarge it.

Make sure the camera is close, but not so close that your camera can't focus.
    Even if the mark isn't readable in the photo at that distance, just sure the mark is in the centre of the frame, so it will used as the point of focus.
    Use the highest resolution you have.
    You may then find if you crop the photo around the centre where the mark is, it is readable.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
    Midge, Distantdetails and vintage_59 like this.
  11. Edward Burke

Thanks for the tips!