1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Identify Label on Vintage Neiman Marcus Wool Sweater

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Lizzie Wilkinson, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Lizzie Wilkinson

Lizzie Wilkinson Registered Guest

I cannot find any information on this particular Label and I am hoping someone here may know :)

Attached Files:

2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Neiman Marcus is a US department store and this sweater was made in England for sale in their store. The style of this sweater looks fairly contemporary, I think.

3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Garments being Made in England is relatively rare these days, we don't do nearly so much manufacturing any more. Plus current labels are more likely to say Made In The United Kingdom.

It's possible it's contemporary if they wanted to say Made In England for some kind of implication of quality, but I don't think I've seen Made In England (rather than Made in the United Kingdom) on anything later than 1980s. Happy to be proved wrong on that if anyone knows differently, though I still think it'd be an exception to the rule.

196t's likes this.
  4. Racked Vintage

Racked Vintage Alumni VFG Past President

I would agree that this is a 1980s "fisherman" sweater.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  5. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I think it's a pretty classic style fisherman's sweater and that it could be earlier than the '80's. The upper and lower case letters and the style of the font on the label is very different from the current Neiman Marcus label - and any of the labels for NM that we have in our LR after the 1950s.

https://vintagefashionguild.org/label-resource/neiman-marcus/

I think it could be could be 1960s. I have not been able to find this label either. Maybe you could contact Neiman Marcus and ask them.