1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Identify this designer?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Vinclothes, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Can anyone help me identify this designer? I read the lablel as Madeliene Fiormet. It appears to have a woven in thumb print on the end as part of the label. The large label was sewed in the skirt of a bias cut long sleeved satin gown. It has lots of buttons down the back and on the sleeves. There is an enormous draped bow on the posterior. I judge it to be late 30's or early 40's but I could be wrong.

Thank you, Marian

[​IMG]

I had a little problem uploading the picture, but it is fixed now. I appreciate any input on this label. Thanks!

2. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Hi!

You photo is not showing up. Perhaps it is too large resolution wise. When you log back in, click U2U under my message and send me a note, if you email the photo to me I can try and help you get it posted. Do you have a photo service?

what is the name on the label, that might give some clues

Chris

3. marlyandmorry

marlyandmorry Registered Guest

Marian

I can't help as I don't see a label either....

We'll just hum around and wait for ya!

Nanc

4. Patentleathershoes

Hi again.

You were subscribed to this thread, and sent the image to the webmaster, who forwarded to me. The file did not work for some reason. It looked like it was saved as a .jpg file but was not originally? My computer is not reading it.

What does the wording on the label say?

Chris

5. Patentleathershoes

Never mind, I see you say Fiormet...

I will look it up but it doesn't ring a bell.

Sometimes the style of the label can give date clues..

6. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I think that may be a Madeleine Vionnet...........

I have a photo of one of her labels, and it looks a lot like this, but not identical. It does have the the thumb print.

Could we see a picture of the dress, pretty please????

Hollis

7. Patentleathershoes

Now I see the label.

Wow, if it is indeed a Vionnet, I woudl LOVE to see it!!

I would want to see it anyways, of course...

8. emmapeelpants

emmapeelpants Alumni

Looks like Vionnet to me!!! Show, show, show!!!! :o

Liz

9. emmapeelpants

emmapeelpants Alumni

Thinking about it....if this dress is as amazing as it sounds, you should DEFINITELY think about contacting Doyles or someone like that. Given the proper exposure, this could be HUGE for you!

Just some musings....I'm dying to see it!!!

Liz

10. gaildavid

gaildavid VFG Member

11. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Yes, this is most certainly a Vionnet, and I among the beggers dying to see it! please...

Lizzie

12. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

I have a book on Vionnet....please, please show us a pic of the dress
    (maybe there will be a match in my book)

What a fantastic find!!!

sue

13. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Now wasn't I good to spot that?

And not just say:

" oh, that's nothing - some old valueless rag, and you can just send it to me when you want it out of the way"

Vinclothes, I am sure Lizzie would love to have that label for the Label Resource if it turns out to be a genuine Vionnet.

Hollis

14. Patentleathershoes

I have never actually seen a Vionnet. I have, but only in books, but never a photo form someone saying "see, I have this!"

(the suspense is killing me....)

15. :wow: I wanna see, too! :bouncing:

16. cosmiccowgirl

cosmiccowgirl Alumni

Wow, a Vionnet! Please show more! :party:

17. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Thank you all for your kind, enthusiastic encouraging, informed responses. This is the first time I have logged into the forum.Once I read the label as Vionnet, it is so clear. And to think that I bought it a a flea market in rural Idaho, an intermountain state.

The pictures will give you an idea of how it looks unsteamed. It has three bows, not one as I had remembered. Black is so hard to show details, so I am describing it a little. The main design feature is a low drape on the lower front skirt caugh t up on each side (over the thighs) with crepe tailored bows. There is a third bow at the lower mid back Circular bias skirt sections are below each bow. 29 mid back buttons, 5 on each sleeve. It is stunning on a human bodyand moves beautifully. (he skirt dips in funny on this dress form)

Marian

18. cosmiccowgirl

cosmiccowgirl Alumni

Oh. My. God. :o

19. emmapeelpants

emmapeelpants Alumni

I second that emotion - it looks fabulous!!! I just wish there were more, bigger pictures so I can drool and weep openly at them!!

:love008:

Liz

20. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Ya wanna sell it?:D

Lizzie