1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Identifying fur stole/cape

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Cheyenne, May 17, 2019.

1. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Registered Guest

I was told this is mink but I’m starting to think this is Russian squirrel. Could you please take a look @Furwise ? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Cheyenne

3. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

I'm sorry Cheyenne, I missed this previously. This one is actually muskrat and it looks pretty soft. Muskrat from different regions sometimes feel softer than others. North Minnesota muskrat is known to be very soft.

Cheyenne likes this.
  4. Cheyenne

How did I end up with two muskrats? Ugh that sucks but it is so so soft so I’m not upset but I was told it’s mink and now I want to go back and tell her :(

5. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

I'll give you a tip. I don't know if you can see that wear along the opening edges but that is very characteristic of muskrat. You may not even notice it because the underfur is thick. If you see it enough though you'll start to recognize it.

The first fur I ever bought was muskrat that was described to be mink. I sold it to a lady as mink and when she contacted me to tell me it was muskrat I felt so bad that I gave her a refund and told her to keep the coat. That experience drove me to learn all I know about furs and I continue to learn as I go.

Cheyenne likes this.
  6. Cheyenne

Thank you so much for your help! I can see it. I’ll keep my eye out as I am in the process of finding a mink coat without spending much money so I’m looking at coats that people aren’t sure what fur it is and I’m praying they’re mink.