1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Identifying "Original Design" label

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by AngAllen, Dec 28, 2018.

1. AngAllen

AngAllen Registered Guest

Hello! I found this dress set (late 1930s? Early 1940s?) and am wondering if anyone has seen this "original design" label before (photo 6). It reminds me of the language from FOGA labels, and I wish I knew more about whoever tried to patent the design so I could look it up. It also has a label inside with the dress's measurements - any ideas why this would be present? Lastly, there are several tags (at least five I have found stitched into the shoulders and waistline with names written on the belts) with two names (Ralph and Lois McClelland) on them. After researching, I found that Lois and Ralph McClelland, husband and wife, owned a small women's boutique in the late 1960s-late 1990s. The boutique was located in the same small town where I found the dress. Because Lois was born in 1917, could this dress have belonged to her? Or could this have been a dress for sale in her shop because the dress contains both the names of Ralph and Lois? Thanks for any help you can provide!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I believe that this is VERY early 1940s-late1930s. I have also seen something that was very popular with the 'new' teeny bopper... they'd see fashion magazine and get that new dress made at the local dress shop. So I believe that this was made for the person with the measurements at the dress shop.

I learned about this when I was researching a garment and, in the process, came across ads for my dresses' dress shop in high school yearbooks!

3. AngAllen

AngAllen Registered Guest

Thank you so much! It makes sense that the tags show the measurements of the person the dress was made for.

4. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Happy to share this info with someone finally!