1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If it’s not silk, what could it be?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Impey, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

I’m trying to work out what fabric this 1950s (?) evening gown is made of! No composition label (obviously), cleaning instructions say ‘dry clean only’ and that’s it.

It’s beautiful fabric, albeit a bit stained in places - and has a gorgeous sheen that changes colour as you look at it. The weave looks uneven and it crinkles.

So, I’m hoping it’s silk, but the burn test didn’t seem that conclusive, and it’s stood up incredibly well to hand washing whigg C makes me wonder. But if it’s not silk what could it be?

ive included a picture of the dress and some close ups of the fabric. The last one is post steaming! Really hope someone can help!

many thanks

impey

Attached Files:

Midge likes this.
  2. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Very pretty.

What happened during the fiber burn test? Self extinguishing or no?

3. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

I would say no. Which makes me think not silk. Bugger

Retro Ruth likes this.
  4. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

So, next step. Char/ash? Or melted? If it's a natural/synthetic blend, it might be somewhere in between.

For any of our forum guests who are trying to follow along, I'm working off of my go-to graphic for this, shown below.
    fiberburnchart.gif

5. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Hmmm, at this rate not much of the dress will be left (or my fingers for that matter!). It seems to be a burns, turns into a black blob kind of material. So I’m assuming synthetic.

Does that mean likely to be 60s rather than 50s?

6. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Burning and turning into a black bead could be silk... silk has a particular smell, quite different from synthetics. I don't suppose you managed to get a sniff?

It could be blend, which makes it very hard to tell the composition from a burn test.

7. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

I got a faint whiff of vinegar (but I have been washing it in that) but other than that difficult to say. Not burning hair though (I actually burnt some of mine just to check!)

Hmmmm... maybe stick with ‘unknown’. Definitely can’t claim it’s silk!

Retro Ruth likes this.
  8. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

That's dedication!

GemGem and poppysvintageclothing like this.
  9. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

In your photo it "looks" like silk but it could be rayon or a blend. I just looked this up - does this describe it?

What happens when Rayon is burned?
    Rayon : Same as cotton, but burns slowly without flame with slight melting; leaves soft black ash. ... It shrinks from the flame. It has the odor of charred meat (some say like burned hair). The residue is a black, hollow irregular bead that can be easily to a gritty, grayish-black ash powder.

GemGem and MagsRags like this.
  10. From the photos, I’d expect this to be rayon shantung, and the colour had a real moment in the early ‘60s.

11. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Definitely didn’t burn slowly, no burning meat and didn’t crumble.

I was wondering about acetate given the whiff of vinegar / potentially a blend with silk?

however rayon shantung sounds super sophisticated!

thanks all for your help, learning all the time from the lovely people on here

12. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

13. kittenteethvintage

kittenteethvintage VFG Member

14. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Nope, definitely not black! Thanks for this though.

I think the best description is probably ‘some form of artificial silk’!

15. kittenteethvintage

kittenteethvintage VFG Member

Ah, well- was worth a try! :)

Beautiful dress!

16. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I was thinking this too!

MagsRags likes this.