1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm trying to date this shoe...help?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by little-bea, Oct 8, 2005.

1. little-bea

little-bea Registered Guest

I\'m trying to date this shoe...help?

I'm trying to date this shoe but I'm having trouble. At first I thought 80s but now I'm wondering if it's older?!? or was it made in the 80s to mimic an earlier era? Is there a name for this style of shoe? Any help'd be really really appreciated!!! (I'm thinking they may do well this time of year.)

....Gold letters inside say Browns made in Italy...leather sole....leather wrapped heels...:bouncy:

2. Leisa

Leisa VFG Member

I'm pretty sure that heel is 80's into 90's. I am NOT the resident shoe expert, though! :D

Still - they're great for the Fall Trends. I see them with Victorian type pieces. Maybe put lace scarf in the picture with them. And, snag one of the pics from the VFG Fall Trend Report to use in your description. JMHO

leisa

3. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

How bout a shot of the inside...the maker's stamp. that would give us an additional clue seeing the "look" of that.

that's almost to me like an extra wide louis heel.

They did make some shoes that looked like that in the 60s/70s as well however. Famolare's Bibiana line had some. I will have to see if i can find a pic..
    sometimes with shoes that have been reinterpreted over and over subtle nuances of the curve or size of the heel would win out and I would really have to go back and study.

I am voting against 90s because i would see a much squarer chunkier heel or a more petite Louis heel. I remember the style of shoes Leisa is talking about though. You did see very menswear inspired shoes in the 90s, but then again you saw some of that a lot earlier too. Maybe they are 80s

maybe the shoe experts will come out :)

For more dating tips on shoes, check out the shoe workshop in the workshop forum, as well as there is an article on the home page.

4. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

Mmmmmmmmm, I love Browns shoes. I always used to buy shoes from Browns when I lived in Montreal no Browns over here though. :( I'm no shoe expert but I don't think they are older than the mid 80's and I'd probably say that they were 90's. All my Browns shoes said that they were made in Italy too.
    What size are they? Please say they are a 10!!

Lei