1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In need of info for 90s Versace versus bag

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Hattiehatbox, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Hattiehatbox

Hattiehatbox Registered Guest

Hiya my lovely knowledgable lot!

I fell in love with this bag the style is very unique and the shape is interesting. I got it from a charity shop. As a hobby I restore leather items feed, maintain, small repairs etc. I got this bag mostly for me because I thought it was fun. I got it from an online charity shop and did ask if it was leather (presuming it would be dirty and need a clean) they said yes.
    However, I’m not too sure... it might be a leather with a heavy coating or it might be a vinyl? I tried finding a bag like it online and cannot find anything similar so I now I’m very curious about it. I don’t mind if it isn’t leather it’s in good condition regardless. I have some good vinyl cleaners too but now I’m unsure the best solution to use.

All I’ve managed to find out is that if it is genuine then judging by the style of the label it is (probably) after 1997 as versus changed their logo following Gianni’s death. ANY information about what time or collection it could be from would be very helpful (if it is genuine.) I’ll attach photos!
    Best Regards
    Hattie!

Attached Files:

2. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Could you post a close up of the leather/vinyl fabric? Also are there any other internal labels? Its an interesting shape for sure!

3. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

With that unusual shape you'd think you could track it down. No matter what, it's a great piece and I hope you get some answers.

PS. Your wallpaper! "smilielove:

4. Hattiehatbox

Great to hear from you! Sure thing, I’ll take some in natural light. It’s a really small little evening bag so I’ve tried my best to check all the seams for a little tag but alas I can’t see any. Just some neat stitching in the lining. 1279755A-B6E6-4A17-97D2-C7F536E8627A.jpeg 1C5FB986-BCD3-4A34-8A1B-0DA89D95E036.jpeg 1FF14D67-4932-4F6B-B841-3BC5C2F0AE62.jpeg 2CB07E78-1D6D-4537-8A4B-33BEAFA57714.jpeg E07C45AC-7DC7-4748-9183-69714BC51E36.jpeg F31A76D4-4B4A-4EAC-BDF5-E56631557AF3.jpeg 1279755A-B6E6-4A17-97D2-C7F536E8627A.jpeg 1C5FB986-BCD3-4A34-8A1B-0DA89D95E036.jpeg 1FF14D67-4932-4F6B-B841-3BC5C2F0AE62.jpeg 2CB07E78-1D6D-4537-8A4B-33BEAFA57714.jpeg E07C45AC-7DC7-4748-9183-69714BC51E36.jpeg F31A76D4-4B4A-4EAC-BDF5-E56631557AF3.jpeg A88CD481-6087-4F38-992D-06E0D85E9BFE.jpeg

5. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Also, I'm not convinced that it is post 97, can you show a close up of the label?

Og great, thanks for the close up of the external fabric. It looks to be a coated leather but it's very hard to tell. Versus did make a lot of PU. I see one corner that has come away from the top corner, is it possible to look at that bit in more detail? Maybe scrape it lightly to see if it's leather and smell it?

6. Hattiehatbox

Fun isn’t it! Reminds me of some of Jean Paul gaultier’s 90s bag collections, I have one and thought they’d be happy together in my collection. Trying to describe the shape is a difficult one, it was advertised as a frame bag due to the metal hinges but online hunting gives me nothing ):

the wallpaper is Laura Ashley! Called summer palace in duck egg. Very expensive back when I got it (most good wallpaper always is) but all of their stuff is popping up online lots cheaper because they’re not doing so well sad but great bargains to be had!

7. Hattiehatbox

yes I did think ah Versace it will be PU but idk something off about it. As for the corner I gave it a light stab with a wooden cuticle pusher. Past the brown rubber based/plastic vinyl is another material. So I can determine it’s not the same material throughout. It’s light and fibrous. Tricky because it could be a fabric or dried untreated leather. (Super helpful I know sorry!). One thing I will say is in the stress areas of the bag the base material does behave like leather in the way it wrinkles. The underside of the strap fastener for example. As for smell I don’t read much, mostly just that horrid dusty storage smell I can’t detect anything past that.
    As for the label I determined around 97 as a archive website for logos said that they changed the versus logo to include his signature after his death. I’m not sure how true this is or if it was done before hand.

Attached Files:

8. Hattiehatbox

Okay so you’re probably right about being sceptical post ‘97. I have found this editorial advert from fall winter collection ‘95. Logo seems to be the same & the bag she is holding is giving me similar vibes with the metal hardware at the top. What a fun mystery!

Attached Files:

GemGem likes this.
  9. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Yeah I wanted to see a close up to double check but it looks like the same label I have on Several Versus pieces I have which are around the 1993 collections. For your bag, I think it looks leather but can't determine for sure. One thing I would say is that I'd be happy with a mid 90's dating (give or take), potentially fall 96. You can always have a look at the vintage catwalk vids on you tube, there are stacks :)

Midge and Hattiehatbox like this.
  10. Hattiehatbox

You’ve been an absolute star! Thank you for looking into it for me very much appreciated!

11. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member