1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

inflatable mannequins (and not the rude sort!) - any opinions?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Hattysattic, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

i am looking to replace my dress form with a newer and well, frankly, less broken model. i saw some inflatable mannequin's on ebay .com and wondered if anyone had any opinions on them - or currently used one?

one version had arms and one didn't, and both could go on a stand. i think it may have been discussed before but i can't find the thread.

plain old tailors dummies on ebay.uk are so expensive!

2. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

I did explore that idea myself as I didn't at the time want my house to turn into dressform gallery (but that has long since past) LOL and i could just stick it in the closet deflated.

What made me decide against it for me anyways was the measurements. I think the one I saw was like a 31-33" bust, and at that point I might as just well use my half girl. I am not saying it would not work for you. I have heard that it works well for lingerie, blouses, cotton dresses, but if you had coats, etc, you would need to use something else because it would be too heavy for it. SO I gues it just depends on what you are using it for.

Does anyone hear have any first hand information to share?

3. Patentleathershoes

BTW Harriet...didn't you get a vintage mannequin?

4. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

well remembered chris! yes, the lovely ethel is great for coats etc. but she is approx a 29" waist - and seeing as a lot of my 50's frocks tend to be a bit smaller around the middle i need to replace my plain dress form.
    have a half girl too but i am so useless with her, i acan't seem to make her work for me like other sellers do!
    might buy a blow up one and see how it goes (like you say)for the lighter stuff, as they seem quite reasonable in price.

but again, any first hand info most welcome!! :D

5. Patentleathershoes

I have french doors in my office (but you can use any door). i put a solid blue sheet over it (white confuses the flash too much and has no contrast) tehn hang the half girl over the door or use an over the door hook. You can photoshop out the blue sheet to a different color or leave it (i have tried a lot of other colors, but that works best for me unless you have a dress the same color as the sheet).

Well, then if you have the manni, then the inflatable one could just work out fine for your delicates and your cotton day dresses then.

6. Patentleathershoes

oh also, if it doesn't work you can try to resell it. For me i am clumsy and would be afraid to puncture it, but that is only because i am more accident prone than most.

7. elsewhere

elsewhere Guest

I've been considering one of those, too. I do have two half gals (one flesh, one black) and my vintage manni.. which half the time I don't bother with lately because it's such a pain to dress & undress her and then I end up cutting her out of the pic anyway!

Interested to see if those are useful or not...

kristine