1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Info about George F. Couture

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by GreenVioletVintage, Jun 14, 2009.

1. GreenVioletVintage

GreenVioletVintage Registered Guest

Hi all! I'm a new vintage seller here and trying to educate myself a bit more. Thanks to all who share resources here on this website, it has been invaluable. I just found a dress by George F. Couture and have been perusing the interwebs looking for info on this designer. I've seen a few other items for sale and they range from $20- $250. I've seen some sites state that it is "one of the oldest couture house in New York" but haven't found any info that isn't related to a listing for a dress or skirt that is for sale. Does anyone know anything about George F. or have any sites they can direct me to for more information?
    Thanks so much!
    ~Megan

P.S. Tried to attach a photo but am doing something wrong!

2. GreenVioletVintage

3. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

What a lovely dress.

I found 1993 ads for George F. Couture, for mother of the bride dresses and gowns.

I found a 1994 article in which a retailer noted that he buys mother of the bride dresses from only a couple of suppliers, one of which was George F. Couture, "because they are the most consistent."

Finally, a 1996 NY article noted that "Anna Sui has signed a license with evening-wear company George F. Couture here to produce a collection of special occasion dresses. The line, to be called Anna Sui Party, will open for Spring 1997."

4. GreenVioletVintage

Thanks for the info! Vintage clothing is so fascinating!

5. GreenVioletVintage

Though maybe it isn't vintage, the style seems 80s to me but maybe its 90s?

6. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I agree that is not vintage by the VFG definition (at least 20 years old), as everything I found about it was from the 1990s.

7. worth-a-peek

worth-a-peek Alumni

Not much info but I saw a blurb about
    George Fakhir Inc d/b/a George F. Couture

George Fakhir, Inc. 275 West 39th Street New York City, NY 10018