1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Info about this little "Victorian" purse, please?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Albundie, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Albundie

Albundie Registered Guest

This little purse was in a lot with a bunch of purses from the 50s and 60s, mostly. The crest says "ad astra per castra", which has lead me to finding an Etsy listing of a locket with the same crest, which is where I get "Victorian" from.

This purse I have is about 6.5" x 6.5", so maybe a coin purse?. The lock is just the (rhinestone?) part on a hinge that pushes the other (hooked) side off. The black material is different than I've ever really seen on a purse, it's very lightweight, maybe like crêpe sort of?

I'd like to know what any of you think as far as time period, what that crest might be about, what the material might be, etc., anything really. I'm not sure what terms to use to search for this, other than the latin, any tips are appreciated. Thanks!!

Attached Files:

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Charming purse, it looks 1930s to me, and is most likely made of a pleated silk crepe. The crest would have been added to the bag. Actually there is quite a bit of info on Wikapedia about the latin motto you mention.

Code:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Per_ardua_ad_astra

3. Albundie

Albundie Registered Guest

Thank you! How interesting.

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President