1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Info on Paul Sachs

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Danielle, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Danielle

Danielle Registered Guest

I recently purchased a dress on ebay. It was sold to me as a confirmed 1920s Paul Sachs dress. I asked how the dress was confirmed to be from the 1920s and the seller told me that it was her great great aunt's and she had wore it when she was in her 20s and that was in the 1920s.

I've done research online and this is the only Paul Sachs dress I can find from the 1920s. All the others are from the 40s and beyond. Does anyone know anything about this designer? I'm wondering if the seller was mistaken.

Any info would be great.

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Can you post a pic of the dress?

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Danielle, could you please send us along a photo of it.

4. Danielle

Here are some pictures. What do you think? My gut says that it is not from the 1920s but the seller insists that it is.

xo Danielle

Attached Files:

5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that dress is early 50s, not 20s.

6. Danielle

Jonathan, I thought so. I was thinking late 40s/early 50s. But the seller insisted 20s. It's good to finally confirm what I felt from the beginning.

I'm still interested in any Paul Sachs info anyone has.

Thanks!

7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

You were correct and the seller is not. Sorry no info on Paul Sachs.

8. cotmyey

cotmyey VFG Member

From a www law site:. Since 1942, appellant and its predecessor, Paul Sachs Originals, Inc., both Missouri corporations having headquarters in St. Louis, have used the trade name 'Paul Sachs Original' in connection with their manufacture and sale of ladies' and 'misses" dresses. This is applied to garments by means of labels and hang tags. A trademark, 'Paul Sachs Original,' was registered with the United States Patent Office of October 12, 1948

EndlessAlley likes this.
  9. Danielle

Perfect!!! Thanks for finding this Gayle. That is great. It really gives me the history I was looking for.

cotmyey likes this.
  10. Sorry this dress isn't the age you were looking for...I find that old ladies aren't always the most accurate on dating the clothes in their wardrobes, and that's why it's best to make up your own mind. I agree with Jonathan that it is likely to be from the '50s but now you know it can't be earlier than '42 your seller should be more understanding.

11. Tamisue

Tamisue Registered Guest

I have a dress that was my grandmothers can you tell me anything about it.
    thanks
    tami

Attached Files:

12. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Hi Tami, that's a very pretty Paul Sachs! It looks to date from the 1950s.

13. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I agree - great fabric!

14. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

I have found a 1950s Paul Sachs dress. This thread is from awhile back but see there is a Gloria Sachs in the label resource.

Is there perhaps any connection with these 2 labels? Just curious.
    ------------