1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Information about Joy Stevens California

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Jenny, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Jenny

Jenny Registered Guest

Hey guys,

I found this cute colorful piece by Joy Stevens but I can't find much information about this brand.
    Also is it 60s or 70s?

IMG_0311.JPG IMG_0309.JPG

2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Jenny,

I found a little information about your label, but, for reasons unclear to me, the last three posts I submitted, in response to inquiries, have not been seen/read/acknowledged by the inquirers. So that I know you will see what I found I can email you (or anyone else) the information if you message me your email through "Start a Conversation" if you click on my posting name. Thanks.

Jenny likes this.
  3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

4. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

I've had few pieces with that label - I remember they were really cute and trendy (for the time). My guess is that it was a brand geared to young women/teens who wanted to be fashionable without spending a lot of money.

I love those "of California" brands from that era. I just listed a super cute "Jody of California" dress in my Etsy shop.

5. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

They were GREAT and yet this California teen was too broke for the great stuff coming out of LA and SF then. boo hoo. My BBF then and I took a sewing class together so we could make similar things ourselves.

6. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Thank you for the reply, Jenny. I first needed to find an easy way to get the screen prints that were on my iPad and I think I am all set now. Here is trademark information about Joy Stevens -- California, as it was known throughout some of its history:

20171025_131801000_iOS.jpg

Jenny likes this.
  7. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Joy Stevens was based in Los Angeles and here is an entry (a couple, actually) from the 1956 Los Angeles directory. If I remember correctly, I think this was the earliest entry I found for them...
    20171025_133457000_iOS.jpg

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  8. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

...and a similar 1960 Los Angeles city directory entry:
    20171025_133428000_iOS.jpg

9. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

It looks like this was the end of Joy Stevens of California:
    JoyStevens1989.jpg

10. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

There is just a tiny bit of information in this summary of a 1969 lawsuit involving Joy Stevens. I had to cut-and-paste the article and I am not sure I captured it all. The middle of the article that starts with "WILKINS C.J. The action of this tort..." appears to be missing something right before that, but I don't think it is important...
    JoyStevensJustiaLawsuit.jpg

11. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I resumed searching for confirmation of my assumption that there was no designer named Joy Stevens at Joy Stevens of California and while I do not yet have definitive proof of that, I found an even earlier 1946 ad (see here) for Joy Stevens of California. As they enclosed the name Joy Stevens in quotation marks, it seems to indicate that is not the name of a real person (EDITED TO ADD: Well, that clearly turned out to be wrong!) I found a 1954 reference to the firm and the Joy Stevens name in that article was also in quotes.

IMG_8162.jpg

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  12. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Found it...in a 1966 article on California Fashion Creators: "Five young women in their early 20's, most certainly names to reckon with in the future, made their debut yesterday before the nation's fashion editors on the final morning of California Fashion Creators' 16th(?) annual Press Week...and Joy Stevens, whose father established a blouse house, to which he gave his daughter's name, presented comfortable and colorful clothes for the young."

Another 1966 article seems to indicate that that young daughter was now designing for the firm -- including pink and orange pants and tops:

IMG_8167.jpg

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    Carnivàle likes this.
  13. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

Lynne, you never cease to amaze me!

14. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

A bit more father-daughter Joy Stevens history, from a 1966 article: "Joy Stevens, 21, is another second generation fashion careerist. Her father is a well-known manufacturer of blouses. She studied at the Chouinard Art Institute in Los Angeles and upon graduation became designer for her father. Miss Stevens has a taste for the theatrical like blazing colors and styles 'that move around like little spotlights.'"

Lady Scarletts and Jenny like this.
  15. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

One last post, from a 1976 article about a designer show at Bullock's: "Joy Stevens' summer collection...will be featured...Ben Stevens, her father, and president of Joy Stevens Inc., will attend."

16. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Man - that's a lot of information!

17. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

TMI?

I just hope Jenny sees it.

18. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Great information - YES, hope Jenny sees it.

19. Jenny

Jenny Registered Guest

Oh wow! I would not expect the brand is that old. Thanks for the information! :)

20. Gayle Gorman

Gayle Gorman Registered Guest

Does anyone know if Joy Stevens from “Joy Stevens of Calif” is still alive and how to contact her?
    We were good friends in high school together(Uni High/ WLA).
    Gayle

Vintage Gal likes this.