1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Information/identification assistance needed

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Bobbo, May 7, 2021.

1. Bobbo

Bobbo Registered Guest

suit.png
    Hello all!
    I am hoping that someone could provide some information about the clothing/outfit in this picture.
    I am working on a puzzle that has a few different images in it to find a location. One of these images involves this outfit.
    What era would this outfit come from?
    Who might wear something like this if not a common outfit?
    What area of the world would this be most commonly worn?
    Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Bobbo

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2021
    GemGem likes this.
  2. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

Sounds like a cool puzzle.

It looks colonial era to me but this is waaaaay outside of my realm of knowledge. Hopefully someone with knowledge of older clothing will see this.

3. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I'm not an expert on dating men's clothing or anything that old. either, but my take on it is that it is late 18C. (1780's or so) and that the photo is meant to be set in Germany or part of the German Empire at the time - or in a German speaking country (because the writing on the board in the background looks like it's German). The wearer appears to a "gentleman".

What a fun contest!

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

5. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Yes, i'd go with european in the 1700's too. I;d say that as well as a gentleman this chap might be a 'Dandy'.

6. Bobbo

Bobbo Registered Guest

thank you all for narrowing that down. We were able to find the solution to the puzzle. The time Era of the clothing tuned us into the colonial east coast and with the other imagery led us to the Chapel on the Princeton University campus.

Distantdetails and GemGem like this.