1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Information on Tami Rich

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by onceoza, Nov 30, 2012.

1. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

I have a darling early 70's skirt. I'm told that it is by a Tami Rich. I can't seem to find anything on her. Does anybody have the resources to tell me a little more about her clothing? Here is the skirt I acquired. How would you describe it?

TarmiSkirt.jpg

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  2. Villa

Villa Registered Guest

What is it made out of?

3. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

It's 100% acrylic

4. Do you have any photos of the labels? Is it a midi skirt or a maxi skirt?

5. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

It's a maxi skirt
    TarmiSkirt3.jpg

6. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

The label looks like it says "Tarmi" not Tami. Have you tried searching with that spelling?

Linn

7. Well spotted Linn!

I see "Tarni" and have found '60s knitted garments with the same label by googling with "Tarni vintage skirt".

8. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

For a great many reasons, some of which I sent to the poster, I am certain the label says TAMI, and not TARNI or TARMI, although I agree that it looks like that. I assume, Nicole that the hits you found are all contemporary sites from people who also read the label as Tarni? Or did you find an historic reference to Tarni?

The early references I found indicate that Tami Sportswear (and its subsidiary Tami, Inc) made skirts that were often paired with sweaters from Darlene Knitwear. I found no reference at all to a person named Tami Rich. Rather, in the 1960s through at least 1976, Tami sportswear/Tami Inc was owned by Athlone and newspaper articles mention the men who ran the company.

9. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I agreed with Ikranieri that it's Tami. Then I found an ad for Tami from 1969, and the typography of the Tami logo is similar to this label. The ad is for sale on ebay, number 360386111161, and is titled Vintage Tami Rich Girl Plaids Advert. The ad is titled Rich Girl Plaids, but doesn't say that the company is called Tami Rich, it refers to Tami Sportswear - perhaps this ad is the cause of the confusion?

Those referring to Tarni must be misreading the label.

[​IMG]

10. Great sleuthing ladies!

11. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

The more I look at the label the more like Tami it looks!

12. Sylvia Allen

Sylvia Allen Registered Guest

In the 1960s Tami Sportswear had its factory in San Francisco, on one of those alleys south of Market. As a teenager I was the design room cutter for a summer while the regular cutter was out having a baby or something. I got the job because my mother's best friend, Terry Glynn, was the designer. The skirt pictured is from Tami Sportswear.

13. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Thank you, Sylvia for letting us know more about this label. We do appreciate it.

14. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Terrific information from all over the place... And fun skirt to boot.

15. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

bumping up this old thread, wondering if there's enough information here to add the Tami label to the resource by any chance?

here's another version of the label, in case it's wanted:

tarmiTag.JPG

it's on a (semi-sheer) lurex blend balloon sleeve sweater. here are a couple photos of it:

IMG_4903.JPG

IMG_4913.JPG

16. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

17. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

18. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

aren't they fun, MJ? i love them, too!

19. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

Yes, good call. Just added to our list.