1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insights on early 50s (?) dress?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by gossamer, Jan 26, 2020.

1. gossamer

gossamer Registered Guest

I recently bought this dress from a local flea market. Poor thing has seen better days but I think I can still get some wear out of it as long as I'm careful and don't mind the ironing sheen in places.

It has no labels, and I'm curious to hear what experienced voices here have to say about it.

IMG_0405.JPG

IMG_0460.JPG

Detail of side zipper:
    IMG_0459.JPG

Interesting construction detail - the top has seams on both the top and the bottoms of the sleeves because they were cut out in once piece with the bodice.
    IMG_0461.JPG

I found a slightly similar looking dress listed for sale online: http://www.vintageous.com/black-taffeta-1950s-shirt-dress-w-rhinestone-collar/

Key differences with my dress include the construction of the top, the addition of pearls along with the rhinestones on the collar, and pockets!

Mine also came with one heavily damaged rhinestone button on one hip (which I removed), which I assume was matched on the other hip though only remaining threads showed me where it must have been.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

2. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

Gosh that is so perfect on you!

With that fitted waist and full skirt, I'm seeing early to mid-50s. And yes, there was probably a rhinestone button on each hip.

And yes, the curse of iron shine!

gossamer and Flannery Crane like this.
  3. Flannery Crane

Flannery Crane VFG Member

Yes that is a beautiful fit!

gossamer likes this.
  4. gossamer

gossamer Registered Guest

Thank you, that's really helpful!

northstarvintage likes this.