1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting article from ny magazine - one woman's closet

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Hattysattic, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

Interesting article from ny magazine - one woman\'s closet

The value of one (lucky, rich) woman's closet. A few vintage pieces in there, but also interesting to know which modern designers fare best in the appreciation stakes:

http://nymag.com/fashion/06/spring/15738/

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Hmmmm -- interesting idea for a story although I would take the appraiser to task on a few of the evaluations. She kind of poo-poos the silk jersey Pucci and says the Diane Von Furstenburg doesn't appreciate in value because they were mass produced and then contradicts herself by giving it a higher value than what it sold for in the 70s or what she paid for it! Courreges did NOT invent the ankle boot in the early 60s - Pierre Cardin did it four years before Courreges. Some of the more modern designer clothing evaluations strike me as very optimistic prices too.

3. Thanks for passing it on, Harriet! I had never heard of a kit dress before - will try and find out exactly what a kit dress is...

Jonathan, I'm curious as to why the COURRĂˆGES ANKLE BOOTS are called "ankle" boots when they appear to go just below mid-calf. I remember my 60s go-go boots being low cut and not as high above the ankle and we called those ankle boots as well. Or is my memory really fading...

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I wouldn't call them ankle boots myself... I agree with you, ankle height boots are ankle boots, Courreges boots are mid calf. They are referred to in the period as 'Space' or 'Go-go' boots.

5. ellenm

ellenm Registered Guest

I enjoyed reading this article, especially since I dealt with Clair Watson recently selling my Lanvin dress. Doyle will no longer accept individual items for auction; they want only collections. That's ok with me. I didn't think they did such a hot job for me.

6. TangerineBoutique

TangerineBoutique VFG Member

Jumpsuits coming back.... I heard the same thing at a NY show two years ago. There was a lot of discussion about how short lived it would be once everyone remembers how difficult it makes the trip to the ladies room. Anyway if they do finally make it back lets hope it is only for a minute.

Thanks for the link Hatty even though I didn't agree with it all it was fun and it's ALWAYS good to see vintage being promoted!

7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Thanks for passing the article along, most interesting! Love some of her pieces.