1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting article in the New York Times about second hand clothing...

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Jonathan, Jul 7, 2022.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

2. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I just finished reading that. They quote a former? member - Angela of Dorothea's Closet.

I agree the thrifts are full of poly and micro fiber cheap fast fashion, but that's been true for a while now, hasn't it? The main exception here in Maine is all the LL Bean Outlet clothing that eventually ends up in the thrifts and quite a bit of that is well made and natural fibers.

3. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

I read that as well, and noted Angela's comments.

Yes, thrifts have really changed the last few years. And if there's a label, like LL Bean, they hike the price.

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

All that ultra fast fashion garbage has to go somewhere and I guess it is starting to show!
    I went through a couple of second hand shops in a more central location than mine two weeks ago, and they were fine. There's never a guarantee for vintage there, but they have good mix of higher quality and lower price items (H&M / C&A level). Though I guess Caritas would not put out the worst of the worst cheap stuff, and they do not sell damaged or stained clothing. I paid $ 20 for a pair of Lee jeans that looked unworn, $40 for a pair of ripped H&M jeans with funny badges (I don't think they were customised, but sold that way - ok, that was a higher price, but they are eye-catching!), $ 12 for a vintage silk blouse with a label from a dressmaker (sort of secretary style, but super nice silk and looks cute when styled the right way - but you have to know that, most people would probably pass it by as looking too "mumsy") and $ 10 for a vintage Pucci hankie.
    All the stuff the regular Caritas shops don't sell end up at the shop in my neighbourhood and get sold for half of the original price there. This is the place to go for really nice things - items that were simply a little too expensive for normal second hand shoppers in the normal shops. Like the handmade Italian ankleboots that still had their original 500 Euro price tag - they were priced for $ 150 at the normal Caritas shop and didn't sell there, so I got them here for $75. Which is a total steal for what they are, but I realise that for people on a budget, that's too expensive. But as much as we're rolling our eyes at ultra fast fashion, I also wonder who buys shoes like that and then doesn't wear them? They're not fancy-looking, just classic Chelsea boots.

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Glad to note Ang got a mention...even she is selling some new items now that are cute and retro from a different shop than her regular one.
    Hopefully, this just leads more buyers to us who still have the goods!

6. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

I don't even bother with thrift stores anymore. They are SO picked over. When I do go in there is always a t-shirt guy or young woman with her phone out, buying anything that's remotely good. As Hollis said, we do get quite a bit of LL Bean stuff but it's always expensive. I just don't have the patience for it anymore!

Jonathan likes this.
  7. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I read that article and it may or may not be true but I keep hunting in all the various places, including thrifts. You just never know where something it going to turn up. Example... I was in a Salvation Army I never frequent because it's all fast fashion and overpriced at that. I found on the racks a prisoner of war dress from the mid1940s. The patch on the dress was from one of a 3 camps that I new of, further confirmed by the Holocaust museum). So I donate it to the museum, of course. These things happen all the time as estates are broken down. Why? I don't know but people donate good, valuable and interesting vintage to the thrifts. They can be hapless family members or an apartment complex manager or a theater costumer cleaning closets... you just never know.

So I resented that article a bit... it doesn't give us serious dealers enough credit. We can still find the pearls even if it seems there aren't any out there.

8. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

I talked with a dressmaker in NY recently. She said her clients were buying at auction and having them altered instead of having new garments made.

9. Midge

So, another district flea market today... district 6 has lots of families, so lots of kiddie stuff, but last year it was good for some nice vintage finds! Had to pass up too cute early 60s full skirted dresses as they didn't fit me. Not super exciting, but nice - would have been $20 each, which is a good deal for someone wanting some vintage to wear themselves.
    On the way back I looked in on the Caritas Outlet shop here that sells everything for half off. Spotted one Shein and one Fashion Nova item - both looked unworn, the latter was some weird vinyl-coated skirt that I'm sure won't look good for long if you really wear it. The kind of stuff that people probably only buy for an Insta shot! Anyway, the rest of the shop was the usual mix of cheaper stuff (not too much) middle of the road (the largest part) and a few higher end things - there were some cool 70s Sergio Rossi heels to be had, or a very cute ca. 90s Akris silk dress - which is a steal for $ 32!

10. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

What surprises me at the thrift stores these days is sure they have fast fashion crap, but the prices! They aren't that much cheaper than buying new.

11. Midge

That's true - the fast fashion is so cheap, the thrifts can almost not go cheaper.
    But seeing those Shein and Fashion Nova pieces here at the Caritas Outlet also means they didn't sell at one of their regular second hand shops. The vinyl skirt was weird - no surprise there it didn't sell. The other was a cute, but very, very synthetic top with a flower print. All things considered it may have been regarded as too "expensive" .